**** DONE: GB-35 1/72 UH-1 B ‘Huey” - Vietnam French/American War 1950-1975

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
User Name: Parsifal
Name: Michael
Categor: Intermediate
Kit: Italeri UH-1B "Huey" configured as an RAN aircraft number either 893 or 895 serving as part of the USMC 135th Helicopter Assault force (Ëxperimental Mobile Unit or EMU force) Vietnam 1968 ....
Scale: 1/72
Accessories: Eduard PE interior, I have the Czech Master exterior set for the engine and cowling. Not certain if I will use either after market item as yet......

(Images to come shortly)

Last edited by a moderator:
History
In December 1966, the United States Government requested Australian assistance to meet the need for additional air crew and maintenance personnel. The Australian Government offered a detachment from the Royal Australian Navy's Fleet Air Arm (RAN FAA), named the Royal Australian Navy Helicopter Flight Vietnam (RANHFV). The first RANHFV contingent reached Vietnam on 16 October 1967 and until June 1971 remained fully integrated with the US Army 135th Assault Helicopter Company (AHC). The role of the 135th was to provide tactical air movement of combat troops, supplies and equipment, known as air-mobile operations. Due to the unique relationship between the RAN and the US Army, the unit was designated by the 135th as an Experimental Military Unit, using the acronym EMU after the large, fast, and highly mobile Australian bird, to the amusement of the Australians as the emu cannot fly. During its four-year deployment to Vietnam, over 200 RAN FAA personnel had rotated though the RANHFV in four contingents and performed its mission from five separate bases in Vietnam. The unit flew hundreds of offensive operations and was involved in some of the most intense combat experienced by Australians in the war, earning not only the aviators but also the maintenance and support staff a reputation second to none.

Initially based at Vung Tau, EMU's first mission was on 3 November 1967. Two months later, in late December, the unit moved from the secure base of Vung Tau to the American base at Black Horse in Long Khanh province. Set amidst rubber plantations and jungle, the base was dangerously vulnerable to rocket and mortar attack. In November 1968, the 135th was reassigned to Camp Martin Cox at Bear Cat in Bien Hoa province and, as with Blackhorse, Bearcat was also subject to attacks and frequent perimeter incursions from the enemy. The unit moved again, in September 1970, to Dong Tam in South Vietnam's Mekhong Delta, supporting strictly Vietnamese Army units. As other aviation units in the Delta deactivated, the only US/Australian helicopter unit in existence took up the slack. Early in 1971, having moved to Di An, it was announced that the RANHFV would be withdrawn from Vietnam and on 8 June the RAN portion of the 135th ceased operations and was replaced by US personnel, marking the end of the joint-force Experimental Military Unit. Five members lost their lives in Vietnam and some 22 were wounded in action, the highest casualty rate of any RAN unit in Vietnam.

The gallantry and distinguished service of RANHFV members was recognised by the award of three Member of the Order of the British Empire Medals (MBE), eight Distinguished Service Crosses (DSC), five Distinguished Flying Crosses (DFC), one British Empire Medal (BEM), several Vietnamese and United States decorations, thirty four received Naval Board Commendations and twenty-four were Mentioned-in-Dispatches.

The unit quickly adopted the colour schemes and insignias of the US unit to which it was attached, however there is some photographic evidence to suggest that initially at least the detachment went into battle displaying standard RAN livery applicable at that time

UH-1B EMU.jpg

The 135th AHC was based at Vung Tau and organised to operate two troop lift ('slick') platoons, each with eleven UH-1Ds, a gunship platoon with eight UH-1Cs, a maintenance platoon with a single UH-1D and a headquarters platoon. Six of the gunships were equipped with mini guns, rockets and machine guns. The remaining two were fitted with the XM-5 40mm grenade launcher system (mounted in a ball turret under the nose of the helicopter) rockets and machine guns.

Having established their camp, and with a full complement, the 135th AHC become fully operational and flew its first mission on 3 November 1967. By the end of November the company had flown 3182 hours in support of the US Army 9th Infantry and the 1st Australian Task Force based at Nui Dat, Phuoc Tuy province. The usual daily commitment was one UH1H command and control helicopter, four UH1C gunships and ten "slicks" .

The company's first major operation, Operation Santa Fe, was a lift of 9th Infantry Division troops into northeast Phuoc Tuy in early November 1967. This operation involved more than 80 helicopters from a number of helicopter companies flying in support of a combined allied sweep against the 5th Viet Cong Division. It was also one of the largest operations any RANHFV contingent participated in. Operation Tiger Coronado followed and it was during this operation that helicopters of the AHC were first hit by enemy fire. Some time during or immediately after this operation the unit adopted jungle green camo.

The first EMU aircraft to be shot down (and the first with an Australian pilot to be hit) was a gunship piloted by LEUT Anthony Casadio, RAN. This occurred on 19 November 1967, during an attack on Viet Cong positions in the Rung Sat Special Zone near Saigon. After his gunship was hit by ground fire several times LEUT Casadio force-landed near the enemy. Once on the ground the Viet Cong immediately attacked the helicopter crew. Despite their relative inexperience, the young American soldiers and their Australian Navy captain maintained control of the situation and set up a defensive perimeter using the helicopter's door-mounted M60 machine guns. The M60s combined with the small arms they all carried afforded the crew a degree of self-protection. Meanwhile LEUT John Leek, RAN in an accompanying gunship circled overhead until his fuel ran dangerously low and he was forced to leave the scene

SBLT Casadio and his men were rescued by another EMU helicopter, but while awaiting evac, they successfully drove off an unknown number of Viet Cong, killing two of the enemy in the process. A Chinook helicopter later lifted the downed helicopter from the crash site and recovered it back to Vung Tau. this was the beginning of a long arduous and often dangerous deployment for the RAN.

Would like some help on interior colour interpretation if possible.....the only photo that I have of the IP that I can confirm is taken in the time frame is the following image taken under IR light conditions. I think the backing plate is light grey, which would make it the same as when I saw these same aircraft 10 years later

What are peoples thoughts?

UH-1B  IP detail.PNG

I've only seen a few 'Hueys' in 'real life', and they all had the standard light grey interiors, including the main panel and consoles. The nylon passenger seats and webbing were red, with silver-grey harnesses in the cockpit, and silver-grey passenger lap straps, with the quilted padding also a light grey, although a slightly different shade to the painted areas.
The pic below shows how those I've seen looked (pic from the web), although I have seen some pics showing a black main instrument panel, the remainder in the light grey.

huey4.jpg

Terry, trying to think back that far. Don't remember any "red" seats any that I recall were OD green canvas and most of the time were removed except for the door gunner and again just a OD green canvas around two metal posts. Instrument panels that I recall were flat black with black bezels. The quilted padding was grey as I recall. A lot of my pics are B&W but I'll check

You're correct Mike. The canvas web seats were very often in OD, which would be more suitable of course. However, the few I've seen or been in (German 'Heer', Norwegian civilian [ex- USAF] and a couple of others), had the red seats, very similar to the C-130.
As mentioned, I've seen pics of a matt black instrument panel, but those I've seen, and most (but not all) pics, show the grey panel and center console, with black instruments and switch panels etc.
If lacking photos of the actual aircraft being modelled, then I guess any of the above combinations would suffice.

Terry/Michael, The old head is not what it used to be. I fould ONE pic that shows the interior of a Huey and the instrument panel is as you describe above. Front panel is grey with black bezels while the center floor console is black.
d16.jpg

got a really small start over the weekend. Lots of round the house jobs and finished up with only abut an hor to building. Ive cut and grinded the floor plate and IP and prepainted the PE parts that go with these kit parts.

I hope to make more substantial inroads this week.

so, for tonite I will try and get the centre console and IP finished. The only photo that I have that I can categorically confirm is either an Australian Army, or RAN UH-1 was a night photo, but there is enough detail to suggest that the IP at least was finished in the standard grey Terry shows in his photo. Based on that observation, I think it s safe assumption that the centre console was finished in green/black as shown in Terry's photo. For the IP I do have PE enhancers, with a clear film backing plate. The centre console a metallic backing plate and a PE overlay. The backing plate really should be painted black, because it is meant to be the switches and knobs that you see. But if I paint the centre console underlay black as the "real thing" would suggest, basically you would not see anything.

For that reason, I might use a bit of "artistic licence". There are enough silver and silver-ish switches and knobs to justify finishing the underlay for the consoles either white, or silver. I think that will result in a better outcome than if I paint the underlay matt black. remember, this 1/72 scale. Detailing the console too much is just not feasible.

For the IP, the clear film backing plate provides the dial details, so should not be too much of an issue, provided I can align the backing film and the top plate correctly.

The PE kit colours the seating harness pretty accurately but I will have to paint the crew seats.

A nice detail I might try and scratch build are the night lights over the IP 9there are four of them). Neither the kit or the after market IP details include these pieces, yet all the photos shown them. they would be tiny to make, but would be cool if they were there.......

And all in 1/72....ZOWIE...Batman you're a braver man than I. I've got 4 Vietnam Hueys and all are 1/48 and I thought they were/are tiny. With the fully enclosed cockpit you really cant see inside them at all so I really did nothing on the inside.
Good luck Michael, post some pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back