**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 FW190A-5 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. I may remove the wheels and make adjustments to get them closer to the struts. They stick out too far right now.

Thanks Vic.

Studying pics, it seems that the gun camera lens was not always present so I will leave it off. I'll also leave the wheels alone. Though they do stick out a bit too much, it's not worth risking damage by cutting them off.

Thanks Glen.

Well here I'm posting my final shots and the model has been placed in the cabinet. Clearly I thought I was done.....until I looked at the close-up pictures and noticed that the port wheel is not sitting on its flat spot. I don't know how that happened as I thought I made sure it was flat when I did the final glue but I obviously screwed up. I will take it out again and fix it but will not bother with update pics.

This model is not my best work as there are a number of things that bother me. The biggest thing is that the starboard wing is a bit warped and bends down as you moved toward the tip. This creates the effect that the model is not sitting properly on the landing gear whereas in fact it is. The painted crosses were an experiment that turned out OK but not great but I did learn some things about my digital cutter that will serve me in the future.

The number of modifications needed to make this Dragon kit correctly represent the A-5 version that it was labeled to be were numerous and can be summarized here:

Incorrect outer wing gun blisters - fabricated my own
Incorrect prop blades - used a spare from Tamiya
Wheel well cutouts incorrect and no inner doors provided - modified wells and scratch built my own doors
Incorrect cowl fasteners - filled these and rescribed in correct position
Incorrect head armour provided - scratch built a proper one
Filler cap over radio access panel should not be there - filled
Incorrect out wing gun detail at leading edge - filed off and gun opening corrected
Incorrect wheels - replaced with new resin ones
Landing gear retraction arms too short making gear sit at incorrect angle - lengthened arms

And with that, here are the final pics spanning two posts. The 6 overview shots are posted in the FINISHED thread.

18022606.jpg
18022607.jpg
18022608.jpg
18022609.jpg
18022610.jpg
18022611.jpg
18022612.jpg
18022613.jpg

Last batch:

18022614.jpg
18022615.jpg
18022616.jpg
18022617.jpg
18022618.jpg
18022619.jpg

As always, I got a lot of help and support from my mates here and I want to thank everyone for taking an interest and for being so helpful. On to the next project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back