**** DONE: GB-36 1/72 VL Myrsky II - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
Username:destrozas
First name:sergio
Category:intermediate
Scale:1/72
Manufacturer:special hobby 72161
Model Type:VL myrsky II
Addons: none

wiki info:

The decision to start developing a new fighter for the Finnish Air Force was based on experience gained before the Winter War: in the "arms race" leading up to a war, it can be difficult for smaller nations to purchase top-of-the-range fighters without a significant political cost. The Finnish Air Force requested preliminary proposals for a domestic fighter from State Aircraft Factory (Valtion Lentokonetehdas) in early 1939, before the Winter War. State Aircraft Factory prepared five alternative proposals by May 1939. After that, The Ministry of Defence ordered the fighter design from State Aircraft Factory in June 1939.

The preliminary design was made by the aircraft-designer trio Arvo Ylinen (head of the design-bureau), Martti Vainio (aerodynamics), and Torsti Verkkola (structural design). Edward Wegelius was appointed head of the design department of the State Aircraft Factory when Ylinen later moved on to the Helsinki University of Technology in August 1940. VL did not appoint any main constructor to its products, such as the German aircraft manufacturers did.

Due to difficulties obtaining duraluminium, the wings were made out of plywood and the fuselage was metal structure with a fabric and plywood skin. The planned Bristol Taurus III engine was not available due to war, so a Pratt & Whitney R-1830 (civil Twin Wasp) was chosen. Availability of this engine was also problematic, so an R-1830-S3C3-G was used for the first prototype and less-powerful SC3-Gs for later prototypes and production fighters. These were bought from German war booty stocks.

The first Myrsky prototype flew on 23 December 1941.[1] The prototype was fully functional, but too heavy. After some modifications they soon had three new prototype aircraft. The test flights showed some structural problems during high-speed tests. All three prototypes were destroyed during test flights; two test pilots died, one was seriously injured.

Series production started in autumn 1942 far before German deliveries of Messerschmitt Bf 109 had begun in 1943. The series production version was called the Myrsky II. 47 Myrsky IIs were built and together with the Myrsky I version and Myrsky prototype the production amounted to 51 in all. Although the aircraft met the specifications set for it, it did not fulfill all expectations due to structural problems.

The Myrsky III was ordered in spring 1943, but none were built.

the art box

myrsky II.1.jpg

because this will be the model that will replace the caproni

we go with him I have a reduced time to finish what we have left of the month but although it has a lot of interior detail the plane is of acceptable quality and it works very comfortable.

I put the photos of how the box kit comes.

myrsky II.2.JPG

myrsky II.3.JPG

myrsky II.4.JPG

myrsky II.5.JPG

before yesterday I put with him and so is the cockpit and its clean plastic parts

IMG_0001.JPG

painted and mounted already in place

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

and for acbar yesterday closed everything and check the status of the meetings, review and leave ready to mess with the engine and accessories that brings to detail the armament
IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Interesting build. I guess I'm not the only one who's never heard of this aircraft!

thanks partners.
the question is that if I have to work at home or a workshop I know that the time for the models is over, I have been promoted in the company and I have to do a lot of things and time is limited

good taking a few days I have given another push, the engine already painted to mount it, the nose pierced to place microtubes of aluminum for the tubes of weapons.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

primer of the plane especially with black although it has not been with vallejo but with black gunze.
IMG_0035.jpg

the bottom of the plane with the color it marks, to make the hard edge mask the edge
IMG_0036.jpg

the upper part with light brown and the black first the green and then the Russian MK1 for the black, since although it was black the color of the plane so is more consistent with the scale of the plane.
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

the exhausts started to smoke but before I do not stay as I would have liked the first phase I left for the moment because I do not want to spoil the work done so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back