**** DONE: GB-37 1/48 HE111-H - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
GB-37 1/48 HE111-H - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940
Username: Donivanp
First name: Don
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Monagram
Model Type: He111 H
Aftermarket addons: AeroMaster decals, Eduard interior for He111 H, Bomb bay
He111-1.jpg
he111-3.jpg
20151010_193445.jpg
20151010_193508.jpg
he111-5.jpg
he111-6.jpg
He111-7.jpg
He111-9.jpg
He111-10.jpg

I plan on this being held for a bit longer but as the Do17 is moving at a good pace and I'm temporarily on a bit of a hold, I figured I'd start on this. This was originally to be a build in Battle of Atlantic , Defence of Britain and I only got a small section of the bomb bay started, so the judges said I could do it here. Doing to German bombers from the early war is of interest to me. I've spent most of my 20 years in the US Air Force either working on or supporting bombers (B-52's) so I guess you could say I'm a bomber guy. It takes a special breed to fly and fight in a large, slower, aircraft that is destined to get to a target deep behind well defended lines. In this case Spitfires and Hurricanes are determined to see you don't get there. Many good men, fathers, brothers, sons never made it back home on both sides. The He111 P and the He111 H (1, 2 and 3) were operating at the time of the Battle of Britain.

Externally the He111 H and P are differed my the engines. The "P" using the Daimler Benz DB601 and the "H" used the Junkers Jumo 211. The basic airframe differed little between the two models. The sub-variants of the "H" models were for the most part internal. The H-1 through -3 had two of the ESCA250 Internal vertical bomb racks each with four racks (Cells) one port and one starboard. Each cell could carry up to 250KG worth of bombs , (One 250KG or multiple smaller such as 110KG) for a total of 2000KG internal. The vertical bomb load was somewhat unique to the He111. The H-4 started production in early 1940 and gave the option of replacing the port bomb racks with an added 220 gal fuel cell and also started the use of external bomb racks. These were mounted over the bomb bay doors preventing an internal bomb load. By the H-5 the internal bays were seldom used at all as larger far more devastating weapons could be carried externally.

The photos are of a CASA211 that belongs to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Ft Worth area of Texas (Addison, Texas).
$_57 (4).JPG
20151010_193523.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0699.jpg
IMG_0711.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0738.jpg
IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg

Good one Don.
Note that the H3 an H4 had the tubular exhausts, with the single stacks being introduced on the H5, even though the resin exhausts may state for use on H4.
However, after the period covered by the GB, some H4 had the 'muffler' pipe removed, and the newer exhausts fitted. That said, it's sometimes hard to clarify, as some captions to photos could be wrongly dated, and I got the same resin exhausts for one of my Monogram Heinkel builds.
I'll probably enter the new ICM He-111 kit, although, for variety, I might change it and do a conversion of a Ju-88A4 to a A1 instead.

Note that the H3 an H4 had the tubular exhausts, with the single stacks being introduced on the H5, even though the resin exhausts may state for use on H4.
However, after the period covered by the GB, some H4 had the 'muffler' pipe removed, and the newer exhausts fitted. That said, it's sometimes hard to clarify, as some captions to photos could be wrongly dated,
I've been wondering about that, I though it was a night flash suppressor, I'll have to work on that also.

The thing I had already started on was the ESCA250 bomb rack. I never go very far but here is where I'll need to pick up and run. Oh BTW, if anyone has a 1/72 scale He111 and wants a Eduard bomb rack for it, let me know. I have one I bought by accident .

The kit includes the bomb racks, replacement doors, wind screens. To see it the doors need to be open and you may wish to cut out the crew door inside the kit.
20151024_181707.jpg

This is what it looked like two years ago when I started it.

20151024_181637.jpg

This is what it looks like now. I'm having a bit of an issue finding the spacer/floor. all was in the He box, but if you've seen my room, well 'nugh said.

bomb rack1.jpg
bombrack2.jpg
20151024_181644.jpg
20151024_181655.jpg

From the web, the real bomb racks.
h1.jpg
h2.jpg

OK so the engine exhaust is covered! Seems that with the H-22 kit Revell put in the shrouded exhaust. And I have the H-22 kit also.

thumbnail (10).jpg
thumbnail (9).jpg

That's exactly what I'll be doing with my Monogram kit building as a H-3, and convert my H-22 into a 'P'.
I'll probably do the ICM Heinkel Don (which has the bomb cell included), as the Ju-88 is the Revell kit, with a resin conversion for the engine nacelles and wings (much quicker than altering the kit parts), and this will take some time to do - probably longer than the remaining time in the GB, by the time I get started !

After cleaning up the desk and finding the floor my room, I started to get a little done on the bomb racks.
I started this sometime back and the parts have set in the box somewhat unprotected since. This is the first problem. The first step calls for parts 1, 8 and 9
thumbnail (14).jpg

Part one is folded so many times if feels like origami. Tring to make a swan out of a bomber. Then parts 8 and 9 are again folded at the ends and at the bottom and the three are all glued together.
br2.jpg

Unfortunately over the time part one broke into three pieces and I have had to hobble them all back together. I don't think it will look so bad when done,(I hope)!

BR1.jpg

This is what it looked like orginally

20151024_181637.jpg

I'd have no chance with my hands !
Well done Don. Thankfully, the ICM kit has the bomb bays included, and if I add them to the Monogram kits, they'll be scratch-built representations, using plastic card.

Hate it when parts snap or break, try as you may, they never seem to go back together correctly, but you have done well Don with those fiddly little parts.

thanks guys, Terry you should be able to use the UCM as a template I would think. Vick, yes it is still off but I think it will all come togrther in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back