**** DONE: GB-37 1/72 Westand Sea King - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
Username: Parsifal
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model Type: Westland Sea King AEW.Mk2/ASaC.Mk7 helo
Aftermarket addons: "Airwaves aftermarket interior upgrade including IP
There are two possible schemes available, and in all honesty ive not yet made up my mind which one to do. one is a Sea King AEW.2 operating from HMS Illustrious in 1988, and the other is a Sea King ASaC.Mk7 operating out of RNAS Culdrose in 2007.

I decided to make a start on this kit whilst I wait for the logistic issues that are messing up my Westland Scout

Some images for this build;

Box art.jpg

kit parts II.jpg

kit parts.jpg

Airfix have just announced, today, the kit has been re-released, as a HAR 3, RAF, Falklands, 1991, and Mk53, RNoAF, 1996, but I don't know if this is the original plastic, or new tooled.

So some progress shots at last

Injector pin marks removed.jpg

So this first shot is just to show the crazy number of injector pin marks in the main shells. there are even some more on the outwards faces of these parts. not good form airfix!

cockpit Ia.jpg

IP from the rear, with some additional scratch building at the rear of the pilots and co-pilot seats. The control columns are hopelessly out of scale. I will need to remove them and try and cut them to something resembling scale size. The safety harness is also too short. I don't understand how the scaling can be so wrong. its annoying.....

cockpit II.jpg

Another shot of the cockpit, again showing the out of scale control columns. the trim control thingys also look wrong to me.

cockpit IIIa.jpg

firewall.jpg

The rear firewall. I made the fire extinguisher. its a bit long but otherwise okay. Compared to the other errors I can see, this is small potatoes.

I'm happy with my build so far, just a bit peeved that the scaling is so wrong. i'll get over it guys. I just have to think happy thoughts for a while......

Good start. Those cyclic sticks( :) ) look very similar to those found in a Harvard, maybe something in your spares? The collective levers( :) ) could be made from stretched sprue. Very nice job on the fire putty outy thing( :) ), looks like a kit part

I'm thinking about how to go about the interior fitout. Even with the aftermarket PE kit there is virtually no main deck fittings supplied . It will look extremely bare if I decide to leave any of the hatchways open

Here are the only interior walk around photos that I could find of the mk7 . If I have a go at this, there will be a lot of work

SK Interior 1.jpg

SK Interior 2.jpg

SK Interior 3.jpg

SK Interior 4.jpg

SK Interior 5.jpg

SK Interior 6.jpg

SK Interior 7.jpg

Hell's teeth !
I think I'd leave the main door closed, bolted and padlocked !
Maybe have the crew door and steps open, with a bit of 'gubbins' scratched together, just to block out the view into the main cabin. and paint everything aft of this very dark grey ?

so, I spent the evening thinking about this issue, as well asabit of construction.The way I see it, if I try and succeed, i will have a very good rendition of the Mark 7 Sea King. not many people attempt this and I'm sure its because they take one look at the scratch building that will be needed and run a mile.if ihadany sensei probably would too. but its worth a shot nevertheless. I reckon it will take 2-3 weeks to have a decent crack at this andif I manage to break through, I will be like the veritable pig in mud.

if it all goes south , provided I don't b*gger up the exterior all i will do is seal up the innards, curse the waste of time and move on.

This is not the first time this kinda scratch build detailing has been attempted in this place. During GB14 Vic did an excellent fitout
for his sea king. ive done one as well though not nearly as elaborate as vics,and not as much as will be needed here. I have a pretty good ideaon someof the required elements.....such as the crew stations, some of the wall mounted lines and framing .

So lets see how it turns out.....

**** FINISHED: 1/48 Sea King Mk 50 - Home Country Modern Aircraft / Spitfire Marks GB

**** FINISHED: 1/72 Westland SeaKing - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back