**** DONE: GB-38 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2B Zero - Axis A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
Username: Parsifal (Michael)
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Airfix Mitsubishi A6M2b"Zero"
Aftermarket addons: None at this stage
I had originally not intended to submit an entry for GB38. However, with my "Unofficial build of HMAS Sydney awaiting the arrival of some AM parts, I have reversed that decision. This will necessarily be a very basic build OOB and f0llowing instructions as much as possible…

We are all familiar with the story of the Zero. At the time of its introduction it was a record making aircraft, a carrier based fighter, with performance superior to its likely opponents. This was unprecedented at the time. That the aircraft was Japanese was of world shattering significance. Possessed with adequate firepower, very long range and exceptional handling, its weaknesses remained hidden for some time.

For the first 6 months of the war, it seemed ubiquitous and unstoppable, but gradually tactics and numbers brought the victorious run of this fighter to an end. But it fought on doggedly.

The A6M5b represented a major overhaul of the basic Zero design in an attempt to bridge the gap between it and the latest American designs. Significant design changes included a one meter reduction in the wing span, complete redesign of the engine cowling and the installation of individual thrust type exhaust pipes. The wing cannon armament was changed from drum fed with 100 rpg with a belt fed with 125 rpg. The wing skin was made of a heavier gauge to allow for an increased diving speed. Armour glass was fitted behind the windshield and fuel tanks had automatic fire extinguishers. One of the fuselage mounted 7.7mm machine guns was replaced with a 13.2mm machine gun.

The 5a and 5b subtypes were meant to be interim types, but ended up being the major production subtypes for the Zero. Something like 5000 were built, and they fought from early 1944 to the end of the war .

my principal reference in this is Willmotts book "Zero". I have quite a few others as well. but its one thing to know the history of a given type, quite another to have the modellers knowledge able to competently undertake the build. Time will tell.

The kit is quite nicely detailed and appears relatively straightforward. There are three sprues and a single decal sheet as well as a clear parts sprue (with only the canopy. The quality of the decals are very good in my opinion, suggesting this is either a fairly new kit, or one that has been updated at some point in recent times. There is a four page instruction booklet with 17 steps. There is just one painting scheme offered, that of the 201st Kokutai, Eastern New Britain
early 1944. as usual, its annoying that the painting instructions are configured exclusively for Humbrol colour charts

Box Art.jpg

Firstly, some photos that I discovered from this link

A6M3 Zeke model 32 built from 5 Zeroes from Buna Wright field | World War Photos

I am currently working on the cockpit area, so im obviously interested in the images of that part of the model. They are fairly hard to find

Cockpit 1.jpg
IP appears to be the same colour as the cockpit sidewalls and overall the pit area is coloured an olive drab colour or similar. Gauges are black backed with white symbology. there are 7.7mm guns housed either side of those two prominent gauges at the top of the IP

I note also the silvering at the corners of the cockpit furniture. There is no black bake-o-lite surround for the control column which I found to be odd

Cockpit 2.jpg

The mixture control has two knobs, Im guessing red and green or red and black. The port side console is surprisingly sparse . in the bottom left corner of the photo the pilot seat is visible and appears to be more metallic in colour. Willmotts book has an excellent colour cutaway that shows the seating and harness cushion colours but shows the pilot seat to be darker colour than the cockpit sidewalls. Based on this photographic evidence I don't think Willmotts rendered drawing is correct.

Cockpit 3.jpg

A shot of the starboard side Seat colouration is shown even better here. Something has been removed from the cockpit sidewall, upper left in the photo. no idea what that might be...…

Again the sidewall detail is surprisingly sparse in these authentic photos.

An interactive museum lin on interior finishes

A6M2 Zero | Panoramas | Air & Space Magazine

Last edited:
Some tips regarding sourcing of cockpit references:

The A6M2b is often referred to as the A6M2-21, so make sure you try both terms in your searches. Searching online for 'A6M2-21 cockpit' yielded multiple high quality, color photos when I tried it. Same goes for the A6M2a, as I believe the primary difference between them was the introduction of folding wingtips to the 'b' model, not so much in the cockpit. For that matter, the A6M2-N 'Rufe' floatplane model could probably serve as a decent reference in a pinch - at least for components not related to the float modifications.

Another source to consider are PC games - in particular, IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946. You can search online for images of the Zero cockpit as modeled in this game or alternatively buy it and 'sit' in the cockpit yourself. It's an older game, so it doesn't need the latest & greatest PC to play. The standard price for it is $9.99USD, but it can often be found on sale for $2-3 as a digital download.

some of the first progress shots folks

Cutaway.jpg

This is from Willmott's book which i am relying on pretty heavily. Note the colour of the harness and then the upholstery sitting behind

Pilot's seat.jpg

this is my pilot seat. I have yet to paint the and smooth the cushion itself
Pit.jpg

The pit, less the IP face, which I have yet to apply
port sidewall.jpg

port sidewall

Stbd sidewall.jpg

starboard sidewall

Good stuff Michael, do you want to do the kit markings or something else?
For your reference the colour range for the A6M2 cockpit a medium green similar to the british interior green, through to a darker green.

A6M2 Zero cockpit colour range.jpg

Good stuff Michael, do you want to do the kit markings or something else?
For your reference the colour range for the A6M2 cockpit a medium green similar to the british interior green, through to a darker green.

View attachment 498321

Japanese colours look simple, but I think that is deceptive.

I am using XF74 Olive Drab (JGSDF) 81774 from Tamiya for the interior. I think its coming up okay, but I am applying it fairly thinly to the point that the grey of the plastic isinfluencing the final presentation. I'm looking for that....a kind of grey green which is more or less what your colour samples suggest.

For the outside I was going to use the slightly darker XF-74. This tends to be passed over these days in favour of the early war whitish schemes. I don't have the decals to go down this path, but neither am I unhappy to apply the Airfix Prescribed scheme.

I was going to use pastel chalks, probably a lighter colour given the darkness of the top coat to accentuate the panel lines and apply a blotched undercoat of black, or white (I need to do some testing first) to try and emulate that blotchy kind of finish that you see in the few colour photos of this scheme kicking around.

At least that the plan. Please yell if you think I'm deluded as I'm the last person to claim great knowledge on IJN colour schemes.

Pilots seat and IP are more or less finished

Pilot seat.jpg

Pit III.jpg

Those two gauges at the top aren't straight. The transfers at this point are still wet, so I might go back to the workbench and straighten them.

Pit II.jpg

Pit V.jpg

Gauges straightened up. Ive also added some further detail to the side console, scratch built. painted the mixture control and added those gauges from scrap PE

Stbd sidewall II.jpg

On the stbd sidewall, ive added some 3d PE to try and simulate that inwards pointing bracket

The upper surface green was referred to as a Deep Green black designated as D1

To keep it simple the best colour to use would be XF-61 Dark Green with a dash of black if you choose the Green uppers version.

I will look through a couple of kits and see what decal markings might interest you as alternatives to that 'Green' option as i have a few different kits.

Hi guys. 1/72 scale as you know is hard in terms of detailing. I'm using the finest brushes I have, which amount to maybe 15 strands of hair at the end of the stick, and still its akin to using a crowbar really, at times. At normal magnification a lot of the imperfections just aren't visible. The few 1/48th scale models ive done are a much more forgiving medium that allows better interpretations of the details.

I'm happy with the results so far. Always room for improvement and im the last to claim this is great, or even good enough in a competition sense, I'm competitive by nature, but I just have to keep plugging away to get the experience and skills needed to raise the crossbar so to speak. ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back