**** DONE: GB-40 1/72 B-17G “Carolina Moon” - Heavy Hitters III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Masked and painted the bomb group markings tonight. Next masking will be for the OD anti-glare panels on the nose and the engine nacelles. The nacelles look to be a challenge because of the tight working space.

P1012708.JPG

I masked and painted the anti-glare panels on the nose and nacelles. A bit of the silver has lifted at the bottom corner of the port windscreen and will have to be touched up. If it looks like its sitting crooked on my workbench it's because it is. During the extensive masking the last few days I managed to snap off the starboard main gear leg and it will be a difficult repair. The Academy B-17's are engineered so you have to install the gear legs before the top and bottom wing parts are joined leaving them vulnerable for the rest of the build, and it isn't a really strong connection at that being on the bottom wing part. I really like Academy's line of B-17's and I think this is the only real week point in the kits. They have really nicely detailed exteriors and do not overdo the interior detail which will not be seen in this scale like the manufactures of some of the newer B-17 kits out there.
P1012711.JPG

I also have made progress on some of the other smaller parts. The main painting is finished on the props (still need to do a bit of dry brushing on the area behind the hubs). The nose glazing and has been finished and is ready to install. I had intended to use the vacuform part for this but it had a crack in it so I had to revert to the kit part. The ball turret has been painted and is finished except for the guns, and the tubros have been drilled out and painted the base cote of silver
P1012710.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great Glenn, sucks about the landing gear. Kit designers really need to have a few model builder on staff. Every time the designer tries to do something like that, the builder smacks him in the back of the head with a Sherwood 5030 and whispers, "no.....not yet"

It's all looking good mate.
Tough, the gear legs.
You think with these biga$$ things there could be a tougher plastic,
like Lego plastic or white metal provided.

I got a bit more done today. Anti-glere painted on cowlings and the engines glued in.
P1012712.JPG

Looks great Glenn, sucks about the landing gear. Kit designers really need to have a few model builder on staff. Every time the designer tries to do something like that, the builder smacks him in the back of the head with a Sherwood 5030 and whispers, "no.....not yet"
I couldn't agree more. As you can see in the instructions below, the way the leg is glued in makes it act like a lever when weight is on it pulling the joint apart.
P1012714.JPG

I started in on the decals today putting on the national insignia and the nose art. The Super Scale decals went on real nice but did need Solvset to snuggle down into the panel lines. The nose consisted of 5 separate decals which took some time to do but was well worth it as they fitted perfectly as can be seen below.

P1012715.JPG
P1012716.JPG

world traveler 8-.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back