**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk XII - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk. IIb
Aftermarket addons: Ultracast resin conversion set for RCAF Hurricane spinner/propeller, Ultracast Hurricane MkI exhausts

The subject of this build will be Hawker Hurricane 5389 as it served with 133 (F) Squadron, RCAF at Tofino British Columbia in July 1943.

image005.png

The history of the Hawker Hurricane covering its service over the fields and towns of England, the sands of the desert, and the jungles of Burma is well known and documented. More obscure is the use of the Hurricane by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Home War Establishment (HWE). The following summary was has been compiled using information provided in a series of articles written by Jim Bates for the magazine "Random Thoughts" which comes with membership in IPMS Canada. In addition, images and other facts are pulled from The Calgary Mosquito Society

With increasing tensions in Europe, the RCAF in the late 1930s began casting about for a modern single engine fighter aircraft to build its home defenses, the fighter complement consisting then of just 6 Armstrong-Whitworth Siskin IIIAs which had been in service for over a decade. The RAF was approached to explore the possibility of making available some Spitfires or Hurricanes and, though an arrangement involving the former was rejected, a deal was reached which saw the delivery to Canada of an initial batch of 10 Hurricanes in February/March 1939 with a second batch arriving later in the same year. These aircraft made up Canada's home defense fighter force until May 1940, at which time No. 1 Fighter (F) Squadron packed up all of their Hurricanes and moved to England to help defend the island against the Luftwaffe.

Shortly before Canada received its first Hurricanes from the RAF, the British Air Ministry (BAM) recognized the need to expand its production of fighters and awarded a contract in November 1940 to Canadian Car and Foundry (CC&F) to build 40 Hurricanes for the RAF. The first Canadian built Hurricane, P5170 took to the skies on January 10, 1940 and the CC&F went on to build some 1451 Hurricanes during the war as additional orders came in. As Jim Bates says in his article, "One can only imagine the RCAF's frustration in late 1940 and early 1941 while trying to acquire a modern fighter aircraft, given that hundreds of an acceptable design were being built locally, but the BAM would not release a single aircraft to the RCAF."

There then occurred a convoluted series of diversions of Canadian-produced Hurricanes to serve in local units and these stories could fill many pages. These aircraft were eventually returned and modified by the CC&F and, along with new Hurricanes that eventually became designated as Mk XIIs as part of an order for 400 from the RCAF delivered beginning in 1942, finally enabled the RCAF to bolster its home defenses. Six Hurricane Squadrons eventually formed Eastern Air Command and were all deployed along the Atlantic seaboard whereas two squadrons, 133 (F) and 135 (F) were placed in the Western Air Command (WAC). A further number of Hurricanes were placed in training squadrons.

The two WAC squadrons were deployed to a number of bases along Canada's west coast at various times (135 squadron even had its Hurricanes based in Alaska in the latter half of 1943) and were charged with defending the west coast of Canada from possible attack by Japanese forces. As we all know, Japanese military activity in this regard was very limited so missions largely consisted of patrols, weather flights, and drills. For further reading, an interesting article on 135 (F) Squadron can be found here.

As the war continued, the Hurricanes of the WAC eventually were replaced by P-40s and the Hurricanes became surplus with many ending up in "Stored Reserve". Whereas many ended up being converted and sent overseas to Russia and Burma, a number of stored Hurricanes were reactivated in 1944 as "Prairie Hurricanes". To quote Bates again, "In late 1944, the Japanese started launching balloon bombs that would drift along the upper atmospheric currents toward North America. There was much concern in U.S. and Canadian military and political circles not only that these bombs would drop on civilian populations and invoke terror, but that they would drop on unpopulated, but heavily wooded areas, and the small bomb load would ignite the surrounding vegetation which could result in large forest fires in western and central North America. To combat this threat, a number of Hurricanes were removed from storage, assigned to No. 2 Air Command, and based at BCATP [Bomber Command Air Training Plan] stations in Alberta and Saskatchewan. The intent was to base one or two aircraft at designated stations to intercept any balloons that drifted toward the prairies. Eight of these Hurricanes were modified by 8 Repair Depot (RD) at RCAF Stn. Winnipeg. Here they 'were stripped of machine guns and camera guns. One machine gun being reinstalled and harmonized.' This was done to lighten the aircraft and afford them the highest possible climb rate. These modifications certainly must have created quite a 'hot-rod' Hurricane. While many sightings and interceptions were carried out, it is unclear if any Hurricanes were successful in shooting down a balloon. (There is an unconfirmed report that a balloon landing in Strathmore, Alberta, on March 28 1945, was shot down by an RCAF fighter. Logically this could only be one of the Prairie Hurricanes.) By the summer of 1945, the balloon threat had lessened and the Hurricanes stood down from their watch."

The subject of my build will be a Canadian-built Hurricane bearing the RCAF serial number 5389. This Hurricane was built in 1942 by the Canadian Car & Foundry, Fort William (now Thunder Bay), Ontario and was taken on strength on June 23, 1942. On July 3, 1942, 5389 was assigned to No. 133 (Fighter) Squadron, Lethbridge, Alberta and coded as FN*M. The Squadron code FN was typically not displayed on the aircraft at this time; only the individual aircraft letter was carried.

Lethbridge is a two hour drive from where I live and, to this day, their professional hockey team is still called the Hurricanes. Until recently, their logo actually showed the aircraft:

478078.png

On Oct 5, 1942, No. 133 (F) Squadron was transferred to the Western Air Command and relocated to RCAF Station Boundary Bay, British Columbia for home defense. It is at this location that the only known period photograph of 5389 exists (source Library and Archives Canada):

PA-177193 Showing 5389 Reduced.jpg

PA-177193 Showing 5389 ZOOM.jpg

During its service, 5389 was flown by a number of Canadian pilots, two of whom became aces in Europe: Don Laubman ( 15 victories) and Buck McNair (16 Victories).

The Squadron transferred to Tofino on July 1, 1943 and two weeks later, 5389 suffered a crash, was sent for repairs, and ended up in "Stored Reserve". In March of 1945, 5389 was flown to No. 23 EFTS, Yorkton, SK to intercept and shoot down Japanese fire balloons. The aircraft was struck from service in August of 1946 and purchased by a farmer in Southern Saskatchewan. After a private purchase in 1962 to be displayed in a museum in Calgary, my home town, the aircraft became the property of the City and is now being restored to mechanically functional but non-flying condition by the Calgary Mosquito Aircraft Society, of which I am a member.

The aircraft today, nearing completion:

44755789_900783136977210_4146447795055755264_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.jpg

And with me in my favourite seat:

DSCN4527.jpg

This build will also give me an opportunity to display the unique paint scheme given these aircraft. They differ from their British-built counterparts in that the colours, generally equating to the British Temperate Land Scheme, were locally produced and were not quite the same, though close. Also, the upper wing roundels were of the "A-Type" with the bright blues and reds used throughout all of the roundels and fin flashes rather than their more muted ETO versions.

Here's a drawing I did for our restoration, much reduced and not very legible. The displayed colours are not accurate but serve only to denote demarcations. The FS equivalents of the selected colours are listed in the table at the center but can't be read. I'll get inot that more during the build.

Capture.JPG

Nice...in the cockpit making "pew, pew" sounds. Looking forward to the build and the Ultracast add-ons. I was 0 days old today when I found out the FREAKIN' HURRICANES/LETHBRIDGE CONNECTION. Why didn't that ever dawn on me

Thanks everyone. Here's a tour of the kit, starting with the box top. The Mk XII sported twelve .303 machine guns as opposed to the "usual" compliment of eight for most Hurricanes. It was in fact initially designated as a "Mk IIb (Canadian)" before receiving the unique Mk XII moniker. As such, unless you want to do a lot of rescribing, it's important to start with this particular kit since the wings have provisions made for the two outer guns and their access panels.

19013101.jpg
19013102.jpg

Though the cockpit seems to be nicely appointed, my current thought is to leave the canopy closed. That way I won't have to get too anal about the cockpit details. I will probably thin the sidewalls of the seat though.

19013103.jpg

Rather than provide a full length fuselage, Hasegawa has provided the longer Mk II nose as separate parts. This philosophy also extended to the forward transition between the wing and fuselage. I hope all these seams fit perfectly! The two leading edge armament options shown won't be used and the Vokes filter will be sent to the spares box. Fortunately, a standard cowl is also provided.

19013104.jpg

Below we see the correct (more or less) leading edge armament options at the top left though the smaller panels will need to be drilled out to receive the two additional gun barrels. The prop won't be used, nor will the bombs and their racks. The kit exhaust stubs are the "fish tail" type and are incorrect for our Canadian birds, which carried the Mk I style exhausts so these will be another donation to the spares box.

19013105.jpg
19013106.jpg

The decal sheet is mostly useless to me for this build. The upper wing roundels are of the wrong type and all of the roundels carry the dull red and blue colours. I'm going to need to mask and paint all my markings and make my own serials and stencils, though the W/T stencils on this sheet may come in handy. The instrument panel decal is actually pretty nice and I'll probably use that too.

19013107.jpg

The Packard Merlin 29s that powered the Canadian Mk XIIs were splined to receive Hamilton Standard propellers. The Hurricane's standard spinner did not fit over the large dome on this propeller so they were almost invariably left off and so this became virtually a signature for the Canadian machines. Though a few did get some custom made spinners, we know for a fact that 5389 did not carry one. Ultracast provide a simple resin set that includes the hub and blades for the correct Hamilton Standard prop as well as an insert representing the front of the Merlin which will be clearly visible. I'll be using this set which means that I won't need to steal a prop from my Accurate Miniatures Mitchell.

19013108.jpg

I also picked up the correct early exhaust stubs made by Ultracast. These are quite accurate and look pretty nice. I'll get some close-ups when we get to the installation stage.

19013109.jpg

Last edited:
So guess which part I started with?

Wrong!

Wings. The ejection ports for the outer guns had to be drilled out and cleaned up with a square file:

19020101.jpg
19020102.jpg

Here's the separate part at the front of the lower wing section. This allowed Hasegawa to use the same mould for the Mk I which they later released. Fortunately the fit is pretty good.

19020103.jpg

The wheel wells are marred with multiple ejection pin marks. Really???

19020104.jpg

CA glue, small bits of sandpaper, and a shot of primer got me to this stage. Not perfect but approaching acceptable. I may do a bit more.

19020105.jpg

Tonight I'll go back to my Wimpy and get some rear turret work done. Thanks for watching.

Nice panel detailing by the look of it Andy, really bad show that there so many ejection marks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back