**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M5 Type 52 - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ajd3530

Airman
Dec 19, 2015
NE Tennessee, USA
Username : ajd3530
First name : Alex
Category : Novice
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : Hasegawa Mitsubishi A6M5 #JT23X (old tool)
Extras : none

Howdy all. I've been away from the hobby for a few years now, and this will be my first attempt at completing a model through and through (I have a few I have started tinkering on already.) So with that said, I will be operating at the novice level for this build.

I've chosen this Hasegawa A6M5:

20190516_233824.jpg

This is a mid/late 90s rebox of their original tool Type 52 from the early 80s. It has very petite raised detail, rather skimpy cockpit, but seems very finely molded all the same. I figured this would be a safe kit to dive back in with. I'm going straight OOB with this, and that includes, if all goes according to plan, using kit decals.

The particular subject I've chosen is the ship of Tetsizo Iwamoto, stationed in the Rabul area in early '44. From my very limited knowledge of Japanese fighter pilots, he was one of the leading aces of the IJN. He actually survived the war, was socially ostracized (as were many Japanese officers who survived the war to my understanding,) and passed away in the 50's as a result of some shady surgical procedure.

20190517_011953~2.jpg

This has a very minimal parts count (50>) so unless something catastrophic pops up during construction or with the decals, making the deadline shouldn't be an issue.

Kit is going together very easily so far. I've got some sub-assemblies put together.

20190517_171816.jpg

Did some dry fitting, and the fuselage and wings seem to go together quite well. Just a tiny gap to deal with, should be no issue.

20190517_171705.jpg

I'll spray the cockpit tonight. Trying to figure out if I want to do Tamiya XF71 straight, mix in a few drops of XF 26 deep green or XF58 olive to darken it up a tad, or just use some Vallejo RLM 02 and be done with it. Its going to be a closed cockpit, so I doubt it will really matter all that much..

But hopefully do that tonight, and be ready to button up the fuselage and attach the wings by tomorrow night.

Finished up detailing the office tonight. Tamiya XF71, detailed with other Tamiya acrylics, Tamiya weathering sets, colored pencils, Krystal Klear and some harnesses made from colored Tamiya tape.

20190518_023856.jpg

Completed construation of the airframe. Fit was a bit lacking in the bottom seem, but nothing too too bad. Fuller and the the such tomorrow maybe some primer. I'm working the local Municipal elections Monday and Tuesday, so I expect little progress those days.

Still need to figure out exactly which colors I'm going to use..
20190519_025403.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back