**** DONE: GB-41 1/72 Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
Username: destrozas
Category: intermeadiate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Special hobby #SH 72093
Model Type: Lockheed pv-2 harpoon
Aftermarket: the engines and a few things that come in the kit itself in resin

pic of artbox kit
01.jpg

history of the plane

The PV-2 Harpoon was a major redesign of the Ventura with the increased wing area from 51.2 m² to 63.7 m², giving it an increased load capacity, and which flew for the first time on December 3, 1943. The reason for the redesigns were the weaknesses of the PV-1, which had shown itself to have problems when taking off when it was fully loaded with fuel. In the PV-2, the armament was standardized in five frontal machine guns. Many of the first PV-1s had a bomber stand, which was suppressed in the PV-2. Some other significant developments included the increase of the bomb load by 30% to 1800 kg, and the ability to carry eight 127 mm HVAR rockets under the wings.

Although it was expected that the PV-2 had an increased range and a better takeoff, the anticipated speed statistics were projected lower than those of the PV-1, due to the use of the same engines but with an increase in weight. The Navy ordered 500 copies, designating them with the popular name Harpoon (harpoon).

The first tests indicated a tendency of the wings to wrinkle. As this problem could not be solved with a reduction of 1.8 m in span (making the wing uniformly flexible), a complete redesign of the same was needed. This obstacle delayed the entry into service of the PV-2. The PV-2 already delivered were used in training tasks under the designation PV-2C. By the end of 1944, only 69 PV-2 had been delivered. Deliveries were finally resumed when the redesign was completed. The first airplanes sent were the PV-2D, which had eight frontal fire machine guns and were used in ground attacks. When the Second World War ended, the entire order was canceled.

With the problems of the wings fixed, the PV-2 proved to be reliable, and finally popular. It was used for the first time in the Aleutians by the VP-139, one of the squadrons that originally used the PV-1. It was used by a number of countries after the end of the war, but the United States stopped ordering new PV-2s, and soon all were removed from service.

history of VPB-139

1 August 1944 – February 1945: VB-139 reformed at NAS Whidbey Island, under the operational control of FAW-6. The squadron received all new equipment and aircraft, the PV-2 Harpoon. During January, the crews spent a great deal of time in HVAR rocket-projectile firing. Much emphasis was placed on mastering the new GCA equipment. NAS Attu had recently installed this new form of landing control, and it greatly reduced the risks faced by the squadron when returning from long missions and had the field covered by fog. Training and flight familiarization was completed by the end of February 1945.
26 February 1945: VPB-139 deployed to NAS Attu, arriving on 16 March. It relieved VPB-136. Upon arrival the squadron came under the operational control of FAW-4 and was assigned routine searches and patrols in conjunction with VPB-131.
27 March 1945: One of the squadron aircraft crashed on Shemya and burned, but the crew was able to exit safely and without injury.
6 April – June 1945: Four VPB-139 Harpoons attacked Kokutan Zaki, Kuriles, with rockets and machine guns. On 6 May, attacks against ground targets were stopped on the order of BuAer. Problems with the strength of the wings and stabilizers on high-G pullouts over the targets confined Harpoon squadrons thereafter to patrols and occasional attacks on surface vessels until the HEDRONs and PATSUs made repairs. Throughout the month of May searches and photographic runs were made over Minami Zaki and the Okhotsk areas in the Kuriles. Little enemy fighter opposition was ever encountered on these missions. Anti-aircraft (AA) fire, however, was always present. On 10 May, a group of eight aircraft attacked radar installations at Minami Zaki, Shimushu, and five of the eight were hit by AA fire. All returned to base with no casualties. On 22 April Lieutenant William D. See and his crew of five failed to return from a patrol and were listed as missing inaction. In June, the squadron made several strikes on Shimushu and numerous ships in the harbors. Although fighter opposition was often present, few attacks were ever pressed home.
24 July 1945: A detachment of six VPB-139 aircraft was relocated to NAF Amchitka, with the rest remaining at NAS Attu. Duties consisted of routine patrols, searches and mail runs between the island outposts.
20 August – 13 September 1945: VPB-139 was relieved by VPB-135 for return to NAS Seattle, Washington, arriving on 23 August less one aircraft with a breakdown at NAS Kodiak. All aircraft were turned over to HEDRON-6, and all personnel were given extension or demobilization orders on 31 August. Squadron files arrived from NAS Attu on 11 September, and the squadron was disestablished on 13 September 1945.

more info of kit:
1/72 Special Hobby PV-2 Harpoon

the plane I want to do is the one that brings the artbox 24V, based on ATTU in the Aleutian Islands, photos of the plane have copiright so I can not place them but there are pictures of the plane, the pilot and copil, with flash the dog that It was the mascot of the crew, the radiotelegraphist again with flash, but if you want to see the photos are on the page:

https://www.norpacwar.com/vpb-139-2nd-tour.

although I found the profile of an aircraft of the same squadron and era

3_6.jpg

now I finally put the photos of the kit

02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

now the photos of the painting instructions and an info that comes out in the same instructions
08.jpg
09.jpg

finished the tu2 and the seiran I put this with me, had been behind the time I wanted to do it from the squadrons of the kiwis but before the impossibility I had to make myself decided to do it in the aleutinas as it comes in the kit. When I am better economically, anemic and have space to place them, I buy again the model with the decals of the kiwis.

I do not curl more, I bring you the first tests of lace and glued ...

11.jpg

10.jpg

As I say in the other model that I have open here in this gb I have time until Monday after until Thursday I can not in principle paint or rather I can not make models ....

but while these days I will devote myself to doing the maximum possible even if it hurts, until I drop the tools of the hands, that is something very normal with this ailment since the hand loses all the strength when the nerve irritates

thanks friends for the support received.
again back, so to continue advancing the model
fast that is very late

12.jpeg

13.jpeg

could be detailed a lot more but before the excases of time ahead I will do nothing but the details that are visible to the naked eye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back