**** DONE: GB-43 1/48 A6M2a Type 11 - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vandee

Senior Airman
Aug 21, 2019
Username- vandee
Name- John
Category- Intermediate
Kit- Hasegawa
Scale- 1/48
Accessories- none
1UO0gQT.jpg

7qtrSbA.jpg

I am going to do the aircraft of IJN Ace Saburo Sakai. I am doing his early mount when he served
in China with the 12th Flying Group plane tail number 3-116. I have read his book Samurai and found
him to be a most admirable and honest man and one heck of a good pilot. I was amazed at his adventure
over Guadalcanal when he took a bullet to the head, lost sight in one eye but flew over 600 miles back to
Rabaul and landed safely. He was a true Samurai. John

Welcome to the GBs John. Glad you will join us with thus nice choice.

600 miles. Is that even possible?
Yes. The A6M2 model 21 had a range of 1,160 mi. or 1,010 nmi. That and Sakai was a master
at adjusting his engine to get a little more range, he new how to set his idle and mixture to
increase his range. He was an above average pilot for a Petty Officer to say the least. John

Great choice, good to see another new entrant coming on board.

Yep the Zeroes had plenty of distance in them when needed, Rabaul to Guadalcanal round trip was some 1700-1800km, however it didn't leave much time to do any fighting....

Thanks, I will have more images tomorrow. I just drilled out the lightening holes in the seat. John
A6M2a 5.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back