**** DONE: GB-43 1:48 P-51D - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Doing little bits now. I'm using PDFs that me and Wojtek got off the web and enlarging them leaves a wee bit desired for the placement of the gunsight clear part.

Untitled.jpg

Does the clear part slot into "4", a slight step that can't be seen clearly in the photo or the step behind it?

IMG_0003.JPG

The base of the clear part is bevelled at "C" so is this angled or is the part supposed to be at right angles when mounted?

What thinner Geo?

1572214068583.png

Looks good Geo. Maybe google the real gun sight and see how that looks compared to the Hasegawa parts.

Thanks Andy and Tim. Mine is a -10; says so right here....

1572228757279.png

....ergo, it used the N-9 gunsight, in use up to the -20.....

....after that they got the K-14 as shown in Andy's diagrams above. So just for simplicity, I'll cut off the leather crash pad, add a silver dot and modify the clear part to be angled

You are right about the kit part but unfortunately its the kit part that is wrong for my kit. From the link I posted above plus there are several photos...

"all P-51D up to P-51D-20-NT 44-12852 and P-51D-20-NA 44-72226 (c). Contrary to what has often been written, the N-9 was never fitted to the P-51B & C as the required number of modifications to the cockpit and additional parts to be fabricated was considered ineffective. (d) Update: if true that P-51B & C were not fitted with N-9 on the production line, some were nevertheless field modified with an N-9 as one of the photo of the gallery below will show"

Thanks. Onto the MGs(parts 1,1,2). What can I say about these individually, microscopic MGs? What was furlushinger Hasegawa thinking?

1572369279015.png

I pondered 6 ping moments as they are only slightly longer than they are wider and have attachment points which will be visible when the parts are mounted to the wings. To my surprise I got the first three cleaned up and glued into their respective holes. As I was cleaning up the second Part 2, the ping moment came. I searched my desk and floor for several minutes and then gave up. The two remaining Part 1s were fitted without issue. Fortunately I have plastic round stock that is roughly the same diameter as Part 2. As I lay the rod on the cutting mat to cut, there in all its glory lay Part 2....go figure. The piece was promptly attached to the wing. I'll let these dry and then paint. Five parts to go.................

Yeah, sometimes you just have to shake your head but glad it worked out. I vaguely remember cringing when I put those in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back