**** DONE: GB-45 1/48 Bf 109E - BoB/Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jock Tamson

Senior Airman
Jan 14, 2019
Scotland
User name: Jock Tamson
First Name: Greg
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model Type: Messerschmitt 109E

Hi,

Here is my entry to the GB - The Airfix Bf 109E in Foreign Service. Airfix provide 3 schemes for an E-1 (Spanish), E-3 (Romanian) or E-7(Luftwaffe)

I haven't decided whether to do the Spanish one or the Romanian machine yet.

Pics:

Bf 109E (1).JPG
Bf 109E (2).JPG
Bf 109E (3).JPG

I have built the E-4 version of this kit before and it goes together really well so i am expecting a nice straightforward build with a simple paint scheme.

Will get started shortly,

Cheers Greg :salute:

Last edited:
I think it's an excellent idea :thumbright:
Some informations about your project here:)
Many thanks Gents, your input is always appreciated.

Got a start made last night......

Bf 109E A (1).JPGBf 109E A (2).JPGBf 109E A (3).JPGBf 109E A (4).JPG

As usual work starts in the pit. Detail of the Airfix kit is ok but not a patch on, say, Eduards equivalent kit. However it was a cheaper option, and looks the part once its finished.

A bit of tactical painting required before final assembly of the last few components then its on to button up the fuselage.

I hope to get more done over the weekend.

Cheers Greg

More progress on my 109. Cockpit fully assembled, painted, installed with no issues.

Fuselage joined and wings attached. The Airfix kit in some respects is like a snap fit, and i only had to run some Tamiya Extra Thin cement along the joins to secure all the main components. All good fun so far..

me 109e b (1).JPGme 109e b (2).JPGme 109e b (3).JPGme 109e b (4).JPGme 109e b (5).JPGme 109e b (6).JPGme 109e b (7).JPG

Thanks for looking, Cheers Greg :)

Last edited:
Looking gret. Well done. :thumbright:

A note though.. IMHO the indicator panel shouldn't be the RLM02. The RLM66 is more likely especially the the kite was refurbished. ALso because of that I would say the entire cockpit interior could have been of the RLM66. But I may be wrong.

Looking gret. Well done. :thumbright:

A note though.. IMHO the indicator panel shouldn't be the RLM02. The RLM66 is more likely especially the the kite was refurbished. ALso because of that I would say the entire cockpit interior could have been of the RLM66. But I may be wrong.
Noted Wurger,

I did wonder about the cockpit colours, and the IP in particular. RLM02, i think, is mostly applied to early war machines. In any event i have to stick to what i have done as the fuselage is buttoned up.

For a refurbished machine it looks well worn in the photographs that have been contributed to the thread...

Cheers Greg :hello1:

I see. The pic below is of a Romainian Bf 109E and is dated 1941. It can be noticed that the IP is of the darker tone than the frame of the cockpit canopy. For sure it is netiher black nor the RLM02 that was a kind of a light grey colour.

romanianbf109cockpit_a.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

I see. The pic below is of a Romainian Bf 109E and is dated 1941. It can be noticed that the IP is of the darker tone than the frame of the cockpit canopy. For sure it is netiher black nor the RLM02 that was a kind of a light grey colour.

View attachment 570345
the pic source: the Internet.
Hi Wurger,

Thanks for adding a really good photograph to the thread, Looks like you are right about the IP.

Cheers Greg :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back