**** DONE: GB-45 1/72 Dornier Do 18 - BoB/Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Username: Bustedwing
First name: Graham
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Revell ( Matchbox)
Scale 1:72
Model: Dornier Do18 G-1/D-2
Add ons, Probably a lot of scratch building and PE seat belts.

Love those Dornier flying boats. This build gives me the motivation to build this kit. ( Shelf of doom squatter) It's kind of typical Matchbox except it's molded in all the same colour plastic. Over exagerated detail in some areas and virtually none at all in others. The panel lines are huge and deep yet none on the hull. No surface detail at all. The kit can be built with two versions both late war. I plan to do one that was based in Brest France. As far as I have been able to find out it would be KuFLGr 404 K6+AH based in France. Not 100% sure though. There is also very little in the way of detailed pictures to reference so I will more than likely take a few " artistic" liberties with it.

dor.jpg

Do18 (4)r.jpg

2_9r.jpg

Last edited:
...... As far as I have been able to find out it would be KuFLGr 404 K6+AH based in France. Not 100% sure though. There is also very little in the way of detailed pictures to reference so I will more than likely take a few " artistic" liberties with it.

I think you mean "M6+AH" Graham. Looking forward to the build.

There is also very little in the way of detailed pictures to reference so I will more than likely take a few " artistic" liberties with it
A decade ago I started this model and never finished it - I waned to build one of the civilian planes with the poetic names. For that purpose I collected several books and articles in pdf-format. Some of them in German (from a magazine called Jet+Prop) with plenty of photos. PM me your email address and I'll try to send you all I have. AFAIR there are too many small details that are mixed or missing in this model (older - newer versions, different type of engines through the years etc).
Cheers!

And so it goes, lots of body work up and coming ! Start with filling in all the GIANT panel lines !

10.jpg

Ok, so can anybody tell me why randomly pictures I post are 90 degrees off ?

IMG_0032r.jpg

Same camera, same resizing, same everything just another picture and it posts fine ? I don't get it ?

Last edited:
I get that with my cell phone pics because of the rotate thingy. However, I edit to size and rotate using photoshop before I upload to the site and never had a problem.

Exploded and burned my house to the ground now I'm in a tent. Mines a Canon Power Shot MsX20HS, didn't come with instructions so I've pretty much been making it up as I go along. I know this is hard to believe but neither me or the War Dept own an actual cell phone.

Ok, so can anybody tell me why randomly pictures I post are 90 degrees off ?

Do you mean the top or bottom pic in the post above?
It seems it is because of the Exif Orientation tags and possible the camera sensor of orientation. The most of soft up to the Win 8 ingnored the Exif tags. As a result the images were uploaded as these were taken. But the newer soft follows the orientation tags and there is no matter if the pic was taken horizontally or vertically. The problem may appear if the tags are , for some reason, created wrongly or damaged/lost. In the case the new computer soft ( eg Win 8, Win 10 ) may try to correct that by adding of new values for the Exif Width and Exif Height tags using the number of pixels for each of edges of the image. In the case , as the default edge is set the shorter one. And as a result, the pic is usually displayed with the rotation . There is a couple more trobles with the Exif tags but I'm not going to bore you with that. So.. generally , all depends on the way the Exif width and height tags are computed and saved.

Samsung S6

Rather... the infor from the pics above.
camera.jpg

So maybe my camera has the rotate thingy as well ? Makes sense if it in fact does.

I'm almost sure it has the orientation sensor. Also the image stabilizer.

Do you mean the top or bottom pic in the post above?
It seems it is because of the Exif Orientation tags and possible the camera sensor of orientation. The most of soft up to the Win 8 ingnored the Exif tags. As a result the images were uploaded as these were taken. But the newer soft follows the orientation tags and there is no matter if the pic was taken horizontally or vertically. The problem may appear if the tags are , for some reason, created wrongly or damaged/lost. In the case the new computer soft ( eg Win 8, Win 10 ) may try to correct that by adding of new values for the Exif Width and Exif Height tags using the number of pixels for each of edges of the image. In the case , as the default edge is set the shorter one. And as a result, the pic is usually displayed with the rotation . There is a couple more trobles with the Exif tags but I'm not going to bore you with that. So.. generally , all depends on the way the Exif width and height tags are computed and saved.

Rather... the infor from the pics above.
View attachment 569472

I'm almost sure it has the orientation sensor. Also the image stabilizer.

That makes sense, I think I might start using a tripod from now on. Either that or one of my legs has shrunk significantly and I'm on a list to one side !

IMHO you don't need to use the tripod.. Just hold the camera as stable as possible. Personally I keep my camera with both hands with elbows on a table if possible.. It allows to limit not only the tipping of the camera but also the movement in general.

BTW is the first pic above the one that was rotated? Have you resized it or corrected the orientation? What about the second shot?

IMHO you don't need to use the tripod.. Just hold the camera as stable as possible. Personally I keep my camera with both hands with elbows on a table if possible.. It allows to limit not only the tipping of the camera but also the movement in general.

BTW is the first pic above the one that was rotated? Have you resized it or corrected the orientation? What about the second shot?

First picture is the first picture I took. After farting around with it trying to post it right side up I said screw it and took a second picture and posted it. I definitely think it's the camera on an angle, angle that's messing it up. My apologies for wasting space with photo probs and not model probs but I think that's the end of it.

Oh.. there is no need to apologize. It happens quite often not only to you.

Here are screenshots of the Exif tags that determinate the pic orientation. The left one is for the top shot and the right for the bottom one. It can be clearly noticed that the first image has them as the width and height in pixels while the second pic has them saved in a different way.

pic rotation.jpg

You may be right. If you typed the new dimensions incorrectly while resizing it might have caused that. But the bottom pic is of the same size as the top one although the Exif W and H tags for both are different The bottom image has the values for the Exif W and H tags of 2048/1536 while the top one of 562/750. But the bottom shot isn't larger at all. I have downloaded both of them and checked their sizes. The top one is of 562/750 and the bottom one is of 750/562. As you may notice both values are inverted. I have rotated the bottom pic left, in order to get the similar orientation like the top image and the pic browser IrfanView changed the Exif W and H tags from 2048/1536 to 562/750 when the pic was saved after rotating. See the pic below.

pic rotation1.jpg

And here the result of the re-rotation of the second pic back to the right. Please notice that the IrfanView just swapped the values of the W and H tags only.

pic rotation1b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back