**** DONE: GB-45 1/72 Spitfire Mk Ia - BoB/Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have the basic assembly done and decaled. I can't show any pictures because my main pc is fubar. Thankfully, in my previous life I worked in IT and parts are on their way.
I got a flyer for ModelFest Plastic Modelers' Convention on Sunday March 1 in Mt Laurel NJ USA; just outside of Philadelphia. More info at www.modelfest.info
When is this GB scheduled to end?

Last edited:
So, I went to ModelFest and came back with this.
newprojects.JPG

The Spit build is going so smoothly, I'm going to do it's adversary, the Tamiya BF 109 E3. I got decals, resin wheels and flaps. For the next GB I got the Hasegawa Mosquito Mk VI and for the glider part, I had to pick up this little bat. I'll post more details about the kits as the builds progress.

Quick update before the final finish.
spit3.jpg

Just the really delicate bits left to put on. I'm not sure about the weathering. It was hard to a consistent wash and the acrylic dried quicker than I liked. I also had some trouble with the new Microsol and set. It seemed 'hotter' than my old stuff. Maybe 30 years of outgassing let the volatile solvents out. I lost 2 of the smaller stencils because if they weren't in position in a minute, they couldn't be moved and got stuck to themselves.

missingdecal.jpg

It is the inner underside trestle marking. In trying to get it in the right spot and straight, it got softer and softer and when it bunched up, it stuck to itself and that was all she wrote. I cut the new stuff with about 10% distilled water, and that seemed to give me more time to work with them. These are from the Tamiya decal sheet.

Done and with no mistakes that were build ending. I will call out the errors that would certainly lose me points if you could see it in person. Somehow I got the fuselage roundels offset from each other. I'm missing some of the stencil until A4K gets replacements to me. The J under the nose shouldn't be on different colored block, but I didn't have just a letter and close enough. Aside from that, it looks ok, not super happy with the weathering but I had a blast. The radio wire is stretched black plastic sprue, I see I didn't rig it 100% correct, but I'm sure it wouldn't last too long anyway. So glad to get back into this hobby after almost 20 years.
spit0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back