**** DONE: GB-47 1/32 Me262A-1a - WW2 D-Day and After - Western Front

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Username : Wayne Little
First name : Wayne
Category : Judge – Non competing
Scale : 1/32
Manufacturer / Model : REVELL Messerschmitt Me262A-1a/A2
Extras : Eduard Cockpit Set and Canopy masks.

The subject of this build will be an Me262A-1a, White 1 of 7/KG(J)6 carrying Red/Black checkerbands on the rear fuselage. It is tentatively identified as W.Nr. 501219, as the last 2 digits are not entirely clear, but appear to be '19' on the original photo as referenced in JaPo Publication, Me262's of KG & KG(J) Units.

III/KG(J)6 in fact only became operational in early April of 1945 and with it's small amount of Me262's numbering not more than a dozen at any time, flew primarily against US Bombers and maurauding Mustangs before turning their attention to the advancing Russians in the final few days of the war in May.

The Allied Air offensive from the West steadily pushed the remaining Luftwaffe Units into a steadily shrinking southern area of Germany and its territories and thus this aircraft was found abandoned at it's final location, Zatec airfield in the Bohemian protectorate (Czechoslovakia) at the end of WW2.

This aircraft was part of the small Production block ranging from 501491? To 501540?
These aircraft were built by Leichtbau GmbH at Budweis in Czechoslovakia in February through April 1945.
These Me262's can be distinguished from other aircraft, in that they had a small rectangular fairing on the Gun access panels rather than the Tear drop shape blister introduced on aircraft from the other production centres. In February 1945 the ejection chutes for the 30mm cannon shells were modified in shape to reduce jamming, requiring the new small bulge to be added to the Access panels.

In the background of the Primary build I will also be doing another Me262A-1a with Blue/White Checkerbands, Me262A-1a, Black 11 W.Nr. 111901 of 2/KG(J)54, also discovered in the Bohemian Protectorate, an image of this aircraft surfaced a few years ago and its actual identity was confirmed via David E Brown on another forum's discussion board.

KG to KG(J) designation notes.
Late in the war the Kampfgeschwader or Bomber Groups began disbanding, some of these former KG units began conversion to the Me262 and operate as fighters – becoming Kampfgeschwader (Jagd) [Fighter] units.
Sometime in March of 1945 the KG(J) units still operational began applying the Reichsverteidigung (RV) "Defence of the Reich" tactical recognition markings.
Photographic reference indicates that the KG(J) units applied a Chequerband pattern to the rear fuselage of their Me262's. The 2 known assigned patterns for the Me262 are the RED/BLACK of KG(J) 6 and BLUE/WHITE for KG(J)54, also GREEN/WHITE for KG(J)27 has been noted on an Fw190A-9 and Bf109G-10 (Colour photo)
In addition the KG(J) units were ordered to discard their old Bomber style Alpha-numeric identification codes and apply standard fighter unit numbers.

Photo Sources,
White 1 : Messerschmitt Me262's of the KG & KG(J) Units, published by JaPo

Black 11 : 2 Photo's published at a site aukro.cz/letoun-nem-sestrelen and further posted at 2 additional sites in December 2014
Luftwaffe and Allied Air forces Discussion Forum and Luftwaffe Research Group Forum.

Attachments

• White 1_0022.jpg
    White 1_0022.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Me262A-1a_Black 11.jpg
    Me262A-1a_Black 11.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 182
Those look like pretty cool schemes Wayne.
Have enjoyed building my Me 262 and quite fancy doing one or two of these checker tailed birds myself.

can help there too Karl...when you want to do one....

Thanks Guys time to get her going...

First cockpit parts prepped to get things on the go.

And the status of the background build which progressed rather rapidly.... while in the finishing stages of the Ki-45,

1_Cockpit Components Prep_6324.jpg
Black 11 Cockpit_6332.jpg
Black 11 Cockpit_6333.jpg
Black 11_6327.jpg

Some more to show.....

Some cockpit assembly with etch added...
Now the Me262's built at LBB budweis as I said above had one unique feature that sets them apart from other production centres in that the Cannon cover bulge was rectangular and can be seen in only a few good quality photo's.....will address that for your viewing pleasure....:)
The other feature was a broader rudder trim tab which I have extended with plastic card on the kit's standard rudder, this was seen on other later production Me262's from Obertraubling as well.
Pics show the before and after Blisters and the mod. to the rudder....

2_Cockpit_6373.jpg
3_Original Gun Blister_1863.jpg
4_LBB-Rectangular Blister_6363.jpg
5_Blisters_6371.jpg
6_Rudder Modification_6365.jpg
7_Rudder Mod_6368.jpg

Interesting mods. I might have stuck the tab extension to the trailing edge to preserve the hinge details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back