**** DONE: GB-48 1/48 Avia B-534 Series III - Military A/C before 1939 (incl Spanish Civil War) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Avia B-534 Series III
Aftermarket Add-ons: None anticipated

I will be starting this one shortly in anticipation of some down time on my Dauntless between paint coats. This subject will represent the pre-WW2 era theme of this split GB and I will pick one of the 3 or 4 1938 Czech Air Force options available with the kit decal sheet. In the meantime, I'm reading up on the plane and its service and will report back once I've picked a scheme.

8191_z1.jpg

The green colour of the single tone upper camouflage will need to be soused out. The colour described is "Light Khaki Green" and the instructions call out Gunze H-80 which looks nothing like a khaki to my eye, nor does Tamiya XF-58, suggested at Cybermodeller to be the closest equivalent. I read on...

The Mr. Paint MRP-169 Light Khaki Avia B-534 would be the good equivalent.

b69c7fedb1cf1241a1aa5a2a28cee78e.jpg

However the Gunze H-80 seems to be fine but it is a little bit too dark. I would add some of yellow paint to the colour. The another paint that can be used is Gunze (Mr. Color ) C54.
But if you don't want to mix colours you may use either the Gunze H-81 or Gunze (Mr. Color) C55.
Anywy, the old KP kit instruction says it was the FS 33070

Thanks everyone.

I have some books about this one. If you need something i can try to see if it is in them.

All is good thanks. I received some from the forum's Santa.

The Mr. Paint MRP-169 Light Khaki Avia B-534 would be the good equivalent. However the Gunze H-80 seems to be fine but it is a little bit too dark. I would add some of yellow paint to the colour. The another paint that can be used is Gunze (Mr. Color ) C54.
But if you don't want to mix colours you may use either the Gunze H-81 or Gunze (Mr. Color) C55.
Anywy, the old KP kit instruction says it was the FS 33070

Thanks Wojtek. I can't get any of those paints here where I live. I have a Tamiya equivalent for H-80 though and one of the references Geo sent me has a picture of of fabric from a crashed B-534 and it's greener than I expect Light Khaki to be. The book also says that the colour was quite sensitive to light and faded so I'm not going to try to get too crazy with it. Thanks for the FS reference. That's something I didn't have and should be useful.

Anyway, I made a start today. Since I painted my Dauntless silver I also lined up the interiors of this model and shot those as well. I then shot the gun butts black and glued them in place along with their PE cocking levers. The framing was then glued over the butts and the details picked out in black and leather brown.

21010701.jpg
21010702.jpg

So far, so good.

Moving on, the oil cooler vanes can be modelled open or closed but the interior detail is quite nice so open it is.

21010801.jpg

The cockpit floor is simple and gets just two colours - Alcad Semi Matte Aluminum and leather brown. The PE belts came with the kit.

21010802.jpg

The fuselage halves were then glued together and the fit is pretty good.

21010803.jpg
21010804.jpg

More soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back