**** DONE: GB-48 1/48 F6F-5 - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does anyone have a "clean" right side fuselage? I had marked some raised detail during my above repair with a fine needle. Between sanding dust and primer I can not find the mark. Of anyone has a fuse, can you snap a picture from the rear of the cockpit and maybe 2-4 fuse bands back?
any good ?

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1623015836.jpeg

Hey, Guys,
So, I am mostly recovered from the acetone oops. I have the blemish sanded and filled in and I have primered over it. BTW, that primer started life as Vallejo grey primer. But, I added a few drops of red to it so I could better see it going down on gray plastic. As I was sanding things I attempted to re-scribe panel lines. I had several "hops" out of the panel line attempting do get the lines re-scribed. I picked up some embossing tape to use as a guide. I am going to finish up the final touches including using some Tamiya white primer / filler to fill in my hops. Once all that is completed I will then strip the primer off (the tape pulls it up) to get back to clean plastic and then use the embossing tape as a guide for re-scribing and re-riveting to the repair area. Once that is completed, I will done one final fine grit sanding to get the plastic all buffed out. I am hoping to have all this completed by the weekend. Man, I am kicking myself in the ass over this self inflicted pain.

Ooops fixed 1.jpgPanel Line repair 1.jpgEmbossing Tape.jpgPanel Line repair 2.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Interesting using the red tint. I use these Tamiya Saws for panel lines and for the most part, blue masking tape. Start the first passes lightly and than add a bit of pressure. These saw blades are very fine, possibly finer than the original panels lines in some cases

1607541756171.png

No pics this pictures on this s post. I have a couple of scriber "hops" that I am having trouble getting the primers (Mr Surfacer, Tamiya) that just will not stay in place, every time I try to re-scribe the stuff gets knocked out of the groove. So, I made up some sprue goo using bits of Tamiya sprue that is dropped in to Tamiya cement. I dabbed just a bit into each scriber hop. Stuff is about dry now. Hopefully this will stay in place.

Last edited:
Hey, Guys,
I finally have the acetone oops dealt with. I re-scribed and re-riveted all the fuse. Geo, those saws you recommended were the cat's meow! Thanks for the advice. I then shot a coat of black primer. I think things are looking much better.

Scribed riveted primed 1.jpgScribed riveted stripped 1.jpgScribed riveted stripped 2.jpgScribed riveted stripped 3.jpg

On to the engine details. I am going to detail up the front of the engine a bit. I am not too worried about the rear bank as it will be difficult to see.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hey, Geo,
Yeah, I like the black primer. I am planning on shooting some random patterns of white primer to see if I can get some pre-shading fading done. I have four colors of primer. The "normal" grey that is tinted to pink now. Then a darker grey, black, and white. Funny thing, the tinted grey primer really sat down tough. Not sure if it was because I had left the primer down for over a week before I tried to strip it off. Or was it the added few drops of regular red. It was tough to get off. I wound up using a scotch rite pad and some airbrush thinner.

Ok, I started on the ignition harness. The distribution ring is a length of 0.8mm solder carefully wrapped around the front of the forward cylinders. I was careful to mimic the ending of the distribution ring. I think I am reasonably close to what I am seeing in some great pics off the web of an R-2800. I then went around the ring using a sharp needle to create pilot holes. Once those were in place, I went back and drilled each out with a #80 bit, then a concluded the drilling with a #78 bit.

Next was creating the leads to each cylinder. I got out my A/C tape, cut several very thin lengths. I then used some old lamp cord to pull out some copper wire that seemed to be about the right diameter. I then placed two lengths of wire in the A/C tape strips, added a teeny drop of CA, then wrapped the leads up. I then cut the shorter ends to best match up from the distribution ring. CA was used to set those in place. Drilled out the spark plug holes in the heads of each cylinder. I then proceeded to cut and carefully bend these leads to get them into each plug hole. Again, a teeny drop of CA was used to hold these in place. So, the only thing I need to do is to carefully paint the leads a brass-ish color to better match what I am seeing in the 2800 pics. BTW, the dime is for reference for friends who are not addicted to styrene. Yeah, they think I am nuts. I pointed a few to here to let them see it is not just me that has some styrene issues.

Next will be adding some additional detail to the front of the engine. I am only going to focus on what can been seen from looking into the cowl as I do not plan to open any maintenance panels. So, far more fiddly, eye straining work to come.

Ignition ring.jpgIgnition Harness started.jpgIgnition Harness completed.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back