**** DONE: GB-48 1/48 SB2U-3 - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
Username : donivanp
First name : Don
Category : intermediate
Scale : 1/48 SB2U-3
Manufacturer / Model : Accurate Miniatures
Extras :

Kit comes with decals, mask and PE seatbelts.

IMG_3777.JPG
IMG_3779.JPG
IMG_3780.JPG
IMG_3781.JPG
IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3786.JPG

The SB2U Vindicator was brought into the US Navy in 1936 and had a 850 HP Wright 1535 Twin Wasp Jr engine. Metal tube contrition with the cockpit area covered in aluminum plate, the aft section bing fabric. Folding wings were one of the features. The -3 model were modified to carry extra fuel in the wings for added range and were primarily used by the Marines. Known as a "wind indicator" by their aircrews due to their poor flight performances, the only time they saw combat with the US was at the battle of Midway June 5 1942. The US Marine detachment, VMSB-241, at Midway operated the SB2U-3 and they were thrown into the fight. Capt Richard E. Fleming being awarded the posthumously MOH for his attach on the IJN Mikuma.
Fleming_RE_USMC.jpg

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to
CAPTAIN RICHARD E. FLEMING
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE
for service as set forth in the following CITATION:
For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty as Flight Officer, Marine Scout-Bombing Squadron TWO FORTY-ONE during action against enemy Japanese forces in the Battle of Midway on June 4 and 5, 1942. When his squadron Commander was shot down during the initial attack upon an enemy aircraft carrier, Captain Fleming led the remainder of the division with such fearless determination that he dived his own plane to the perilously low altitude of four hundred feet before releasing his bomb. Although his craft was riddled by 179 hits in the blistering hail of fire that burst upon him from Japanese fighter guns and antiaircraft batteries, he pulled out with only two minor wounds inflicted upon himself. On the night of June 4, when the Squadron Commander lost his way and became separated from the others, Captain Fleming brought his own plane in for a safe landing at its base despite hazardous weather conditions and total darkness. The following day, after less than four hours' sleep, he led the second division of his squadron in a coordinated glide-bombing and dive-bombing assault upon a Japanese battleship. Undeterred by a fateful approach glide, during which his ship was struck and set afire, he grimly pressed home his attack to an altitude of five hundred feet, released his bomb to score a near-miss on the stern of his target, then crashed to the sea in flames. His dauntless perseverance and unyielding devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.​
Richard E. Fleming - Wikipedia

This kit is designed so at to be able to depict any of the aircraft involved in the battle. Capt Flemings aircraft was number 2.

20201201_123033.jpg

Last edited:
Coming from an earlier era, the cockpit was aluminum for the most part. I have started by shooting the interior in a gloss black primer to take on the aluminum paint. I think I'll use Testors Metalizer Aluminum for the interior paint as it takes on a very nice dull flat aluminum color.

20201201_152042.jpg
20201201_152100.jpg

Hi Donivamp,

The -3s were delivered in 1940/41 and should have had Dull Dark Green cockpits; the aluminum cockpits were in the SB2U-1s and -2s.

Cheers,

Dana
Thanks Dana, All I could find, not much was in the aluminum, but that's an easy fic at this point. Did you or anyone you can think of do a book on this subject?

Hi Donivan,

Thanks for the order - it went into the Post Office last night.

I've been trying to answer questions without flogging my books - it's just that the aircraft I best understand are the ones I've been researching for past and future writing projects. Hope you enjoy this one when it arrives!

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Donivan,

Thanks for the order - it went into the Post Office last night.

I've been trying to answer questions without flogging my books - it's just that the aircraft I best understand are the ones I've been researching for past and future writing projects. Hope you enjoy this one when it arrives!

Cheers,

Dana
Dana, I support the people who do the work. I'm a long time fan of D&S. Burt backs you and I have your kingfisher and corsair books (2 on the corsair). I like having the books when I'm working. I and all of us appreciate your help on this site but that doesn't feed the belly. I'm happy to buy your work, subjects like SB2U can't have a big following so it must be a love of the subject. Thanks for yhat.

Well Thank you Dana, fist thing I find is I screwed up:p. Thanks to the photographs in the book I finally go the shots I was looking for and the kit instructions are as clear as Mississippi mud in a cat 4 hurricane.
20201208_083125.jpg

I read this as being on the top rail!
20201208_083215.jpg

I was wrong!
20201208_083225.jpg

Here it is and then I revisited the instruction and OH! I had to pull out my other two kits to steal from!
20201208_083203.jpg

But that's ok as I had not noticed the ejector port in the O2 bottle. a little drop of Tamiya primer filler and we'll sand that down and repaint.
I've always used the Testers 1124 green for my O2 bottles, it seems to be about as close as I've ever found. What's everyone's input on that?
20201208_083444.jpg

To be frank I'm starting to think I should take the pictures and blow them up and then review before I do anything. I can see clearly now all obstacles in my way!

Good stuff Don.
I remember the words of that song - "I can see Deidre now Lorraine has gone ......."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back