**** DONE: GB-48 1/72 A6M2 Zero - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PlasticHero

Senior Airman
Jul 31, 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
Username: PlasticHero
First Name: Alan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Airfix A6M2 Zero
Extras: ROP Decals and Yahu cockpit decals
spru1.jpg

spru2.jpg
spru3.jpg

decal1.jpg

I'm still deep in the reconstruction going on in the house. The ceiling is up and the plasterer is busy now doing finish work. I also will get to spend 3 weeks in Florida in December. (YEA) Because of all this, my GB-47 build looks less likely to finish and I don't plan to start this until 2021.
The detail on this kit is waaaay better then the old Airfix kits and for the price, is a very compelling option against kits that cost twice or more as much. I am really happy to see a pilot figure and wish more kits would offer this. I plan on doing one of the 3 Pearl Harbor markings from the ROP sheet. Interesting that they are a Czech company and to them, the attack was on the 8th.

Last edited:
Cool.

If you do AI-155 the Hikotaicho stripes on the tail are Yellow NOT Red.
AII-121 Only 2 RED stripes above and below code, the top stripe should not be there. Fuselage Bands should be broader.
BII-140 should have broad Dark Blue Stripes on Fuselage and same in Blue for the 2 Command Stripes. Yellow was not used until April 1942 when Joichi Tomonaga took Command of the Air Group and changed from Blue to Yellow Command stripes.

Edit to above my references tell me, BII-140 was AFTER Pearl harbor, Sumio Nono in fact flew BII-121 at Pearl harbor with the Blue Stripe markings. later flying BII-140 and killed in action in April 1942.

Last edited:
Thanks Wayne Little Wayne Little (this is what makes this forum so good) I'm leaning toward AI-155 (maybe 154 since there is a 4) and it is obvious from this picture that the fuselage band should be wider.
AI-154 ZERO.jpg

Flown by Takashi Hirano who was killed at Pearl.

Her are some better profiles of your subjects, only thing missing is the "light Grey" fabric surfaces.
Also note the fuselage stripes do not continue around the lower side of the fuselage but stop at the lower fuselage panel line.
Check my Zero Build in GB 15 for a good look at the Colours of the early Zero.
Source Japanese Publication from Shikigensha Book Cover included

SCN_0041_AI-155_small.jpg
SCN_0042a_AII-121.jpg
SCN_0043_BII_121_small.jpg
IJN Fighter Camouflage Illustrated_Shinkigensha.jpg

Last edited:
I feel obligated to post on this date; one of the most pivotal of the 20th century. The construction phase of the house is done, and I have a bit of time again. Starting to compile a list of paints that I will need.

Thanks Snautzer01 Snautzer01 (captured-japanese-airplanes.42169/page-55) there's a lot of "atmosphere" pictures there as well. I've been working on the cockpit and engine enough to have something to show. The sidewalls are not complete as yet.
BUILD1.jpg

The brass tube on the card is 3/32 and I have 1/16 K&S that fits inside it. I put a drop of solder in the top to give it a positive seat. Then drill and trim a square hole through the plastic. This lets it be mounted on a base without any stress on the landing gear. I've done this in the past and it easily holds the weight of a 1/72 plane. Capt. Vick Capt. Vick old thread about his hanger made me want to come up with a base for this build; more on that later. I'm so impressed with the Yahu instrument panel; the detail on it is so crisp. I painted and glued the pilot figure to the seat and added a thin plastic strip for the one seatbelt. I guess two would weigh too much.
BUILD2.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the cockpit together. One of the build reviews I watched on youtube warned that it was difficult to glue the top panel with the cannons in place, in front of the cockpit. The rear of the cannon has to pass between the space between the fuselage and instrument panel. Some dry fitting showed I could glue the cockpit in to place and when dry, slide the top panel loose, and glue the starboard side and finish by gluing the top panel.
cannons.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back