**** DONE: GB-48 1/72 A6M2 Zero - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Almost ready to paint, and somehow I got glue all over a wingtip. I also managed to break the tail wheel off the raised option. I can save that by cutting of a bit of the lowered version. Waiting till later to see how well I can smooth out the glue. So close to not messing up this time. Well there's always the painting itself.
goofs.jpg

Decals are on and drying. Next step is clear coat, a tiny bit of shading and panel lines then a final clear. I am following these for basic layout that conforms well with pictures and other profiles. I am wondering about 2 features about this, why does the red stripe not go all the way around, and why the prop is (a) not painted on the front, and (b) not have warning stripes on the back? If I issued an order to "paint a red id stripe around the fuselage", I'm sure the sailors would paint it ALL the way around. Why stop on the one lower panel?
AI-155.jpg
AI-154_profile.jpg

Another marking that was noted in one place was the last two digits of the plane number were in black on the gear covers and in white on the bottom of the cowl. That makes a lot of sense and I've seen other air forces mark planes that way. I looked through old decals but couldn't find any numbers small enough.
build3.jpg

A lot of good info here about the crashed plane from this shōtai or section.
Hirano's Zero

Can't explain why the fuselage stripes do not go all the way around, but were standard on the Zeroes at this time. However the Kates and Vals DID have their stripes painted all the way around.

George is correct on the rear of the prop blades with the warning stripes only on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back