**** DONE: GB-48 1/72 B-17 Mk.1 - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
User Name: Jeff Hunt
Name: Jeff
Category: Intermediate
Scale 1:72
Italeri: B-17 Fortress Mk.1
Out of Box Build

thumbnail_20201130_153818.jpg
thumbnail_20201130_153911.jpg

It has been far too long since I joined in one of these group builds. With winter nearly upon us and a bit of an itch to get back to the modelling table I thought I would hop aboard. Not sure which of the three pictured RAF Coastal Command ships I will do but I am leaning towards option B. Pics of parts to follow. I will be taking a good look at what I need to buy to get this plastic out of the box and onto the shelf.

Cheers,

Jeff

I am looking forward to checking up on this build. Always been a fan of the shark tails.
I have an Academy B-17 B in my closet. I built their B-17C/D many years ago. I saw this model in a hobby shop in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. I wanted one. I found one here and did my best. Not only did I build the stuff inside the fuselage, I painted it with the actual colors the instructions called for. I was VERY pleased with it.
A former girlfriend didn't feel like helping me move. All I asked her to do was hold the model in her lap while we drove to my new apartment. During the move, contractors smashed it while it was still at the old place. When I know I'll have a safe spot for it I'm giving it a shot. I'm really glad you're doing this plane. I'll be taking notes!

Last edited:
Good to see you back Jeff. I wonder if that's a re-boxing of the Academy kit. I've built a couple of them and really liked them

I've seen the support and experience you guys give each other. I think I'll start small with that 1/72 Buffalo I have. That Academy Minicraft model will wait until I'm truly ready. It's too special a model for me. Thanks for the encouragement!

As long as we're on the topic of shark tail B-17's, does anyone remember a movie with James Garner in the RAF? Very hazy memory from more than 60 years ago. There's a a clip of B-17 MK I (?) in it. Whatever that movie was I thought that bomber was the most beautiful airplane I ever saw. Didn't even know what a Flying Fortress was. Even prettier than a B-52. That's saying something!

Engines painted while on the sprues and awaiting installation.

20201206_181828.jpg

Wings with landing gear assembled.

20201206_181951.jpg

Fuselage interior painted. Not much will be visible when she is all closed up so I will not be detailing the interior.

20201206_182052.jpg

Cheers

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back