**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Bf109K-4 - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Bf109K-4
Aftermarket Add-ons: Eduard PE Seatbelts, possible EagleCal decals

The Bf109 has been a favourite of mine since I was a kid and I've built many kits and versions over the years but never a K-4. So here's my chance to crack open the last 109 in my stash and build one. I have not yet fully decided on a scheme. I have an Eagle set covering a number of schemes of which Blue 7 (built by Karl way back in GB 1) catches my eye. I also like this one, which I'm leaning toward (profile by Claes Sundin and found on Pinterest):

8351e206a08abb0558d0178a0b17ec54.jpg

I don't have decals for this one but I do like the black JG 53 band and the mismatched engine cowl and rudder and I can easily make masks for the Gruppe bar and the "16" using my Cricut digital cutter. There are 3 pics of the actual bird, wingless, that can be found on the net and my Japo Bf109K book covers this, and others, in detail. I'll also refer to JKim's excellent build of Blue 16 where he used the exact same kit.

There has been a tiny bit of work done on the model prior to this. All I did was spray some parts with left over paint that I'm going to have to redo anyway but there's been no assembly.

Just thought I'd throw up some sprue shots before launching in. You'll be able to see the parts that I painted, wrongly in some cases I might add.

21020301.jpg
21020302.jpg
21020303.jpg
21020304.jpg

Next to the kit decals at left is a bag of resin pitot tubes that I bought a while back for some reason and that I kept in this box. I'll probably try using one, though they seem to be very fragile. Intro post has been revised to include these.

21020305.jpg

This is the Eaglecals sheet that I may or may not use. The erroneous Red 7 profile is now known to be Blue 7 and decals are included for both.

21020306.jpg

Thanks guys. At the moment Geo, my first choice is the White 16 above for the mismatched cowl but I won't need to decide til later.

I started (guess where?) in the cockpit by first stripping the paint. A short dip in Windex dissolved it quite easily.

21020401.jpg

The housing for the Mk108 cannon provided in the kit is the wrong shape, being a legacy of the G models that the kit is based on. Though a corrected sidewall and other parts are provided, Hasegawa didn't change this detail. I started rounding the butt end on its own but when I dry-fitted it to the rest of the housing, it became apparent that much more will be needed.

21020402.jpg

I've since built up the shape with card and CA, filled and primed it, and will show it when I'm done. While that's drying, I moved on to the lower wing where some mods are needed. The moulded vent detail between the wheel wells needs to be filled in (I used two gobs of Tamiya grey surface primer) and a new ejection chute for the 30mm shells needs to be cut in, which I've not done yet. The wheel wells come round and need to be shaved to the angular type, one of which can be seen at right below.

21020403.jpg

I was thinking of giving riveting a try and before I could change my mind, I launched into it and finished the port side of the fuselage. Hard to see in the below pic but it's there:

21020405.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back