**** DONE: GB-49 1:48 Mustang IV - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
Username : rochie
First name : Karl
Category : intermediate
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : Fujimi P-51 D
Extras : Decals from the spares box

a favourite of mine from all the air shows Terry and I attend, sadly for me the Mustang flying today that carried this scheme was repainted in 2019

profile_112sqn_12-557x165.jpg

profile from here
Camouflage and markings of No.112 Squadron RAF, Part 2

Last edited:
With the entry into service of the Mustang III (P-51B/C) with 112 Sqn came a dramatic change of colour scheme as seen here.

From July 1944, when they became fully operational with the Mustang, the camouflage scheme became the same standard one as used in Northern Europe on RAF fighters; namely Dark Green and Ocean Grey on the upper surfaces and Medium Sea Grey undersurfaces. The markings are, however, different in some ways: the codes letters are in white; there are no yellow leading edges to the wings; the spinner is red; and the rear fuselage sky band is painted out with camouflage (note the straight edge to the Dark Green area). It seems clear from photographs that sky bands were overpainted in Italy on the units of the RAF Desert Air Force (which included 112 Sqn) but were retained on the RAF Balkan Air Force, operating from Italy, Yugoslavia and Greece.

Note that this aircraft, in common with many Mustang III's in Italy – and also USAAF P-51B and -C models – has the dorsal fin extension similar to later production Mk.IV's (P-51D's).

112 Sqn operated the Mk.III Mustangs up to the end of the war in May 1945, supplementing them with Mk.IV's and IVA's (P-51K) from February 1945. They participated in the invasion of Southern France as well as continuing with operations along the Adriatic coast of Italy, mostly in the fighter-bomber role, and still with some liking for attacking bridge targets

profile_112sqn_12-557x165.gif

North American Mustang Mk. IVA, 112 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Cervia, Italy, May 1945

Here is the final piston-engined aircraft type operated by 112 Sqn, the Mustang IVA (P-51K); a mixture of Mk.IV's (P-51D) and IVA's were operated from February 1945 until December 1946.

Up to approximately the end of hostilities in Europe these Mustangs were painted in the normal camouflage, just as the previous Mk.III illustration. After that they were left in natural metal finish with Olive Drab anti-dazzle panel in front of the cockpit, and the code letters in black instead of white, all other markings remaining the same. Note that yet again the serial number (KH774) is overpainted, by the individual aircraft ident letter "S".

The Mustang IV's and IVA's were used alongside the remaining Mk.III's mainly in the ground attack role with bombs, though they did also fly longer-range missions with fuel drop tanks underwing. After a period in Northern Italy on occupation duty after the war's end the Squadron was disbanded at Treviso on 30th December 1946

Last edited:
will leave the bombs off for now though i've read sqn's in Italy and N Africa used a mix of British and American bombs ?

also the cammo pattern is wrong in that profile, from the firewall forward there should be no green, the demarcation follows the panel line exactly !
will change the profile soon

I would say , nothing abnormal.IMHO, that's the standard RAF roundel used at that time.
Here the same effect... seen for the P-40 of the squadron. The white ring of the background kite seems to be larger than the on of the foreground P-40.

01nc9UdrzgnAo_AusQNuLIB7ZHfVDTylyjExNNcs7OxkGWiUdJq0Czi8ycnsiSBocG_CCwOlJ2mRjmTxTZHSM5_Mi5g-fA0.jpg

the pic source: Photos6

The dark spot at top of the engine cowling seems to be the shadow of the prop blade rather. The dark area around the exhaust pipes going down and toward the firewall looks like an attempt to clean the surface. There is a difference in the tone just at the line of the firewall.

Yes i saw the shadow from the prop.

I'm going with the scheme on the decal instruction picture.
I dont have them but will make up markings from my spare decals which include a similar shark mouth.

Good choice Karl.
Note that these were P-51K's, with the "Aeroproducts" prop, and the "Dallas" canopy.
Not a lot you can do about the canopy, unless you get a vac form one, but I have spare Aeroproducts blades and the spinner and back plate, in my recent ICM kits if you want them.

Good choice Karl.
Note that these were P-51K's, with the "Aeroproducts" prop, and the "Dallas" canopy.
Not a lot you can do about the canopy, unless you get a vac form one, but I have spare Aeroproducts blades and the spinner and back plate, in my recent ICM kits if you want them.
Yes please Dogsbody, if you're not going to need them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back