**** DONE: GB-49 1:48 XP-51 - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: ICM Mustang Mk.II
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: A bit of modification and decals from my spares box and my computer printer

I've wanted to build one of the first mustangs for a long time so here go's

The Mustang came into being by a request from the British Purchasing Commission in 1940 to North American Aviation to license build The Curtis P-40. North American countered by saying they could design a better fighter from scratch in short order. On April 10th the offer was accepted and 102 days later they rolled out the NA-73 prototype (although without the Allison engine). Engine installed, the NA-73 took to the air on October 26 Shortly thereafter the first batch of production Mustangs began rolling out as the Mustang Mk.I. Part of the deal to let the British have them was that two would come to the USAAF so the 4th and 10th airframes were delivered to the Air Corps as 41038 and 41039, the only two XP-51's

41038 is still in existence and can be seen at the Experimental Aircraft Association Museum in Oshkosh Wisconsin, but I will be building 41039 as it appeared in the pictures below when it was being tested at Wright Field.

Ideally since the XP-51's were essentially the same as RAF Mustang Mk. I's, I would use a MK.1 kit but one doesn't exist so I will be using the ICM Mk. II kit and doing some modifications.

XP-51_41039_wright.jpg

XP-51 41039 profile.jpg

Last edited:
Shouldn't be too much butchery George. Reshape the prop, some work on the gun locations and I may have to move the landing light location some. I'll have to look at it more closely but I think the hardest part of the whole build will be the natural metal finish. I have a love/hate relationship with NMF. Love the way it looks/despise doing it.

Great choice of subject Glenn, and looking forward to seeing it progress.
Had an Allison Mustang ( RAF ) on my "to do" list for many years - maybe one day !

Made a start on it today by spraying on some interior green and then a dark wash (still wet in these pictures)

P1013244.JPG

P1013243.JPG

The prop was a paddle blade which is wrong for the XP-51 that was thinner with pointed tips so I went to work reshaping it. In the picture the 2 blades at the bottom have been reshaped while the top blade is not done yet.

P1013242.JPG

Nice work, although that XP-51 seems to have sprouted another engine, and a P-40 fuselage ...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back