**** DONE: GB-49 1/72 Do 215B-5 - WW2 Night Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Username: Bustedwing
First name: Graham
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: ICM
Scale 1:72
Model: Dornier Do 215B-5
Add ons, PE belts.
Extra Tech FuG 202 PE radar antenna set ( Thanks Evan )

Be tough to narrow down a favourite Aircraft of World War 2 but I would probably say Mosquito. ( My Uncle flew them). Since I don't have a kit that left me with the Night Fighter category to which I had several options. Me 109, Me 110, Ju88, He 219 and the Do215. I decided on the Do215 simply because it's the nicest kit of the lot. It's very similar to the Airfix re-tooled Do17'

Do215-b (1)r.jpg

Do215-B (2)r.jpg

Do215-B (3)r.jpg

Do215-B (4)r.jpg

Do215-B (5)r.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, pics are there now.
Looks like a good subject, and if the kit is as good as their recent 1/48th scale releases, it should be a nice build. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

I'm going to do the first one. Stab II./NJG 2 Leeuwarden, Spring 1942. Initially I thought the black one but after trying out the RLM 74/75 paint scheme I changed my mind. The instructions show green over grey but it's actually dark grey over light grey.

RLM74-75r.jpg

Testors/MM enamels for the RLM74/75 can be 2083/2084.

The ICM is not too accurate with the colour names often. Eg.. the instruction above says that the "C" paint is the RLM 74 Dunkelgrau. It means that the RLM 74 colour was the dark grey. Dunkelgrau = Dark Grey. But in the same line next to the German's name there is the name written in Cyrillic what in English means the Dark Grey Green. And this is closer to the German name as the RLM 74 was Graugrun (grey-green) paint. The same is for the "E" RLM 75 Mittelgrau ( actually - Grauviolet ) that should be the grey of violet tone colour but not the Mid-grey one or the blue grey one suggested by the Russian name above.
So both names for the paint in the instruction may be quite confusing.

Testors/MM enamels for the RLM74/75 can be 2083/2084.

The ICM is not too accurate with the colour names often. Eg.. the instruction above says that the "C" paint is the RLM 74 Dunkelgrau. It means that the RLM 74 colour was the dark grey. Dunkelgrau = Dark Grey. But in the same line next to the German's name there is the name written in Cyrillic what in English means the Dark Grey Green. And this is closer to the German name as the RLM 74 was Graugrun (grey-green) paint. The same is for the "E" RLM 75 Mittelgrau ( actually - Grauviolet ) that should be the grey of violet tone colour but not the Mid-grey one or the blue grey one suggested by the Russian name above.
So both names for the paint in the instruction may be quite confusing.

The Model Master Enamels RLM 75 Grauviolet. RLM 74 Graugrun. Both are shades of grey as painted on the Heinkel wing I did. Yet, most pictures show a distinct "green" close to what I would call RLM 82 Dunkelgrun. I think I'll stick with the 74/75. I notice whenever I build a marine aircraft most people us 70/71 where I believe it should be 72/73 which is what I use. Confusing yes, probably why I like building Luftwaffe kits ! I tend to get suspicious when too many things start making sense. I hope this makes sense ?

74/75 makes sense to me. Hope you can use the MMs as they seem to be getting scarce.

I have a few bottles of MM left, but yes the more popular colours are history. I picked up some "AK" acylic enamels and they seem to be as good if not better than the MM enamels and a full line of military colours. Downside, they thin with lacquer thinner and not mineral spirits which is stinkier.

Good stuff.
If, like me, you prefer enamels, then the former WEM paints, now done by Soverign Hobbies, are excellent, and they have ranges for various WW2 and modern air forces. They're UK based, but I think they have a North American distributor.
I also recently noticed that Revell Germany have some "packs" of Luftwaffe colours in enamel, 6 tins per pack at around £12 in the UK, that appear to be quite accurate in shade.
Andy "converted" me to MM enamels a few years back, but but now that they have stopped production, I can't get any of the colours I require..

Good stuff.
If, like me, you prefer enamels, then the former WEM paints, now done by Soverign Hobbies, are excellent, and they have ranges for various WW2 and modern air forces. They're UK based, but I think they have a North American distributor.
I also recently noticed that Revell Germany have some "packs" of Luftwaffe colours in enamel, 6 tins per pack at around £12 in the UK, that appear to be quite accurate in shade.
Andy "converted" me to MM enamels a few years back, but but now that they have stopped production, I can't get any of the colours I require..

I've only tried Vallejo as far as water based acrylics are concerned. Don't like the stuff. I can't get it to stick and the colours are a bit off. I picked up a set of 12 RLM colours, so far I haven't used much of it. My local hobby shop has started carrying the AK line and the owner of the shop recommended them and he will eventually try and stock the full line. I picked up or should I say ordered a bunch of them ( zombie apocalypse ) and they look great so far. I haven't tried doing a whole plane but farting around with it looks good.

The Vallejo RLM 75 Graugrun is a bit more greenish than the Model Master RLM 75, I think I'll stick with them !!

paint-difr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back