**** DONE: GB-52 1/48 Ju188A-2 - Heavy Hitters IV (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Username : Wayne Little
First name : Wayne
Category : Judge – Non competing
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : REVELL

Extras : (Eduard) Canopy Mask & Camo Mask Set and Seatbelts.

Running a little late to get to this party…..

My entry for this Group Build will be the 1/48 Ju188A-2 Released by REVELL, formerly of Dragon Models.

This particular aircraft 3E + HK of 2/KG 6 was found abandoned at Melsbroek in Belgium in the latter half of 1944.

The aircraft has a Non standard Camouflage pattern made all the more different with a replacement Port Wing in Standard Camo.

References indicate it may have been a Pathfinder aircraft as Photo's show it minus the Upper Turret and Nose Cannon.

However this seems to be only a possibility as there is nothing that I can find that makes this so.

It is also possible the items removed occurred when the wing was replaced, turret could have been damaged maybe even from the cause of the wing replacement…..Gun removed for servicing and the opening covered until it was ready to be reinstalled, maybe?

It is likely the aircraft entered service with all armament fitted and removed for reasons unknown at the time of the Photo when the Port wing had been replaced…

KG6 did not have a large number of aircraft at it's disposal in the preceding months of mid 1944 and coupled with the Losses of aircraft, one could see the need for all available aircraft to be used in the Bombing roll rather than as a Pathfinder…?

As there can be a few paths to travel, I am also considering full armament with turret and full non standard pattern before the wing change, however in this instance the Port wing pattern would be provisional as it cannot be fully seen in the only image available.

So much to consider as I get things moving along….

Attachments

• Revell_JU188A-2.jpg
    Revell_JU188A-2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 59
I'm now tempted to lag a bit behind in my detailing, watching the craftsman at work and learning. ;) This will be interesting to watch. You have not (yet) posted any spru details, but I'll assume the build parts will be just a larger, and more detailed, version of the 1:72 that I'm working? Although comparing the fuselage of both there are some differences, like how the elevators are attached.

This drawing. Was the camo really that tightl controlled or is this a non Luftwaffe reference? Not surprising if it is an official control ! I was under the impression that the patterns were a guide line?

you've probably seen them but 3 pics here Wayne.
scroll about half way down

Also discussed here, where Geo and I chimed in:

Ralph Haus Ralph Haus the posted drawing appears in Ullmann's "Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945" and is captioned "Official camouflage pattern for the Junkers Ju188".

Geo just posted as I was writing so never mind....

Last edited:
Thanks gents for your input, I have seen those references. I have been reviewing the available pics of this aircraft for a while, some very good some very ordinary.....and I have most if not all that is available. Have 3 in particular that are very good images, but don't recall where I got them from.
I'm still not sure of the correct path to take.
It is very compelling to go with the RLM 22 Base and RLM 76 rather than the alternative of 70/71 across the upper surfaces with the 76 over the top.
Each of the different photo's show the Dark meandering lines slightly differently in tonal value and one thing I cant make out is the 70/71 demarcation anywhere over the wings and fuselage, the only spot that has a hint of a different colour (green ?) is within the 'H' on the starboard side of the fuselage.
Also the Rectangular area on the upper rear fuselage is also a 70/71 probability, as this does look a different colour to the RLM 22 stripe that meets the corner of this area on the starboard side above the fuselage cross......
One of the good photo's I have even shows the remnants of the white surround of the Hakenkreuz on the Starboard Vertical stab.

Ralph, sprue pics, are readily available to view in various reviews so I don't usually post them.

George, not sure what you mean re. the flat tyre? One Photo from 2 o'clock clearly shows this in it's abandoned state out on the field where the majority of photo's were taken.

and back on the build, some more prep work, horzontal stabs assembled and main cockpit components prepped and in place.
4_Horizontal Stab_9582.jpg
5_Horizontal Stab_9584.jpg
6_Cockpit_9592.jpg
7_Cockpit_9593.jpg
8_Cockpit_9596.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back