**** DONE: GB-52 1/72 Junkers Ju 88A-1 - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Intermediate
Manufacturer: Revell
Model: Junkers JU88 A-1 'Battle of Britain'
Scale: 1:72

Idle hands and all that. I finished the last build 'way' to soon and don't want to wait for Feb 1st for GB-53! I bought this kit almost a year ago and just needed a reason to open it, a second entry in GB-52 seemed to be perfect. This kit, compared to the SM.79, is loaded with detail. Excited to see if I can get the looks correct. I hope to be able to finish by 3/5, I have a surgery scheduled in early Feb that may or may not affect my performance? So here it is...

An early question? Being a Revell kit they always come sans swastikas. I'll assume there was a pair on the rudder, high, and fairly large?

Box Art.jpg

Instructions cover.jpg

spru main.jpg

SPRU 2.jpg

Yes, swastika either side of the fin (not the rudder), as shown below.

View attachment 651719

The swastika shown on this Ju88 A-1 tail, black with white outline. Is this the same as was used during BoB (solid black vs the outline black)? If outline, then I have a problem. My 'collection' of swastikas was acquired from my local HS as is, some pieces missing. The remaining ones appear to be the correct size ( I have laid the tail piece on top of the decal sheet, hard to see), but there is only one white outlined left. If the solids are not appropriate then I'll start searching. Or I'll take Andy up on his generous offer?

decals.jpg

The thin black outline, if present, at 1/72 would be hardly noticeable on the dark 70/71 background. The Ju88A-1 swastika measured 650mm square which at 1/72 would be a hair over 9mm. I believe that the sheet that you posted there has some swastikas that are meant to be assembled, i.e. the white background is placed first and then the slightly smaller black interior is placed over that leaving a thin white outline. If your white backgrounds are the correct size then I'd suggest that you could use those.

All that said, I do have one last set of swastikas that would be the right size as shown below. They are Eduard ones and come in two pieces each. Happy to mail these if you want. If so, PM me your address and I'll fire them off.

20211217_131248.jpg

The thin black outline, if present, at 1/72 would be hardly noticeable on the dark 70/71 background. The Ju88A-1 swastika measured 650mm square which at 1/72 would be a hair over 9mm. I believe that the sheet that you posted there has some swastikas that are meant to be assembled, i.e. the white background is placed first and then the slightly smaller black interior is placed over that leaving a thin white outline. If your white backgrounds are the correct size then I'd suggest that you could use those.

All that said, I do have one last set of swastikas that would be the right size as shown below. They are Eduard ones and come in two pieces each. Happy to mail these if you want. If so, PM me your address and I'll fire them off.

View attachment 652000

Thanks, Andy and Wurger. I went ahead and ordered a sheet from Hobbylink. Of course, in order to 'justify' the shipping, I just HAD to add a kit:D

The spread of sizes should provide the proper decal?

Hobylinc decals.jpg

Little tiny pieces!! Should have gotten the 1:48 version. The cockpit area is working out well. For me anyway. The photos below; I was not able to color correct (white balance) the images because I used my phone camera. In the first image, the color is about right as showing in the forward cockpit area. The remaining surfaces have a 'brownish' tinge. Not showing the true color.

Asalways, a bit dissapointed in the 'quality' of the painting when viewed at these scales. Even when applying the small dot areas using a jewlers loop, they looked acceptable. However, behind the acrylic windshields, these areas will look 'acceptable'

Cockpit 2.jpg

Cockpit Starboard.jpg

Cockpit Main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff Ralph. Your third photo never got enlarged and these are the kind I like to post. Detail shows up very nicely

1640108121570.png

With regards to going to a larger scale, though I build strictly in 1:48, I wish I had purchased my multi-engines in 1:72 due to lack of space

Little tiny pieces!! Should have gotten the 1:48 version. The cockpit area is working out well. For me anyway. The photos below; I was not able to color correct (white balance) the images because I used my phone camera. In the first image, the color is about right as showing in the forward cockpit area. The remaining surfaces have a 'brownish' tinge. Not showing the true color.

Asalways, a bit dissapointed in the 'quality' of the painting when viewed at these scales. Even when applying the small dot areas using a jewlers loop, they looked acceptable. However, behind the acrylic windshields, these areas will look 'acceptable'

View attachment 652414

View attachment 652416
The level of detailing of the new models is amazing! I'm just so-o-o-o-o envious!!!!!:confounded:
BTW are all those radio boxes not black/dark grey on the most of the planes (no matter German or not)?

View attachment 652414
View attachment 652416
View attachment 652415
Can't see anyone being disappointed with this work.

The level of detailing of the new models is amazing! I'm just so-o-o-o-o envious!!!!!:confounded:
BTW are all those radio boxes not black/dark grey on the most of the planes (no matter German or not)?
I, as usual (usually wrong), went by the paint schedule in the instructions (K-Red, J-Black, F-Grey). I did find some example builds on line and the 1:48 that I found was grey as well. So, I went with it. The other color details; builders choice I guess? If I'm wrong, now would be the time to correct, before I glue the sections together. Members???

Attachments

• radios.JPG
    radios.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 33
  • radios 1-48.jpg
    radios 1-48.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 32
It's gorgeous. Close enough, especially after its closed up.
Unless, of course, you want to repaint it and you'll enjoy doing it.

I, as usual (usually wrong), went by the paint schedule in the instructions (K-Red, J-Black, F-Grey). I did find some example builds on line and the 1:48 that I found was grey as well. So, I went with it. The other color details; builders choice I guess? If I'm wrong, now would be the time to correct, before I glue the sections together. Members???
Thanks for the clarification! I'm not too familiar with Luftwaffe interiors and those "boxes" appear darker (in the b&w manuals),
dbglRk8.jpg

but obviously this is not the case with your model and the real radios.
Cheers!

The radios often tend to look a touch darker (than RLM66) in some B&W photos, but only just, and is probably the effect of lighting.

Ralph, I forgot to mention - the moulding to the left of the radios in the instructions drawing ( shown by red arrow below) is supposed to represent the rack of spare saddle magazines for the MG 15 machine gun, and should be painted black, with a mid brown strap on top.
They were actually two drums, but moulding restrictions n this scale (or simplicity of tooling) has depicted them rather angular, not a problem in this scale, once the canopy is in place.
Drawing and pic of the actual saddle magazine below.

Ralph 4.jpg
MG15 magazine.jpg

Adjusted. thanks. But the photo of the 'real' magazine sure looks khaki colored to my eye. Adjust?? Either way I'm not sure where to put the brown strap? Probably won't see any of this anyway once buried.

magazines.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back