**** DONE: GB-56 1/72 P-38J - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
User name: Bustedwing
First name : Graham
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Italeri
Model type: Lockheed Martin P-38J
Aftermarket decals

Well I didn't have anything in my stash fitting this build so I had to peel out my wallet. I was intending to do the English Electric Lightning as it's one of my favourites but they didn't have one so I picked this one up. I knew that the Germans had captured one, turns out they snagged two. Hannants had a decal set for one, T9-XB so I sent for it.

P38 (1)r.jpg

decals.jpg

abw.jpg

p38_g.jpg

Luft38r.jpg

Last edited:
Another early starter. Is it November already???????
Well no it's not...more of a sneak peek but I've since realized the captured plane is a P38G and the kit I have is a P38J which would need a major hatchet job to pull off as a P38G. Pick up another kit or scrap the captured Luftwaffe deal ???? I used to be able to make snap decisions. This gives me a couple of weeks !!

Whichever way you go it's going to be an interesting build though shame it's not an EE Lightning. By the way, what skill level are you entering. :D

Well so far my search for a decent P-38G kit has not panned out. That leaves me with doing the captured P-38J which so far I can not find any info on how it was painted by the Luftwaffe. It appears it might have been left the way it was captured and had the Luftwaffe markings added. The kit itself comes with options to build several versions and has a pretty slick decal sheet so I may just go that way.

kit-decals.jpg

Last edited:
Lockheed P-38L 44-23725 T9+MK ...

These shots reveal that the kite was of NMF finish at tops and what seems to be the yellow at the undersides. However I have a doubt that the yellow was applied on the way it presents the profile. Also please note that the top inner sides of the engine cowling were of the anti-glare colour like the panel in front of the cockpit windscreen.

p38_11_t9-mk_-jpg.jpg

T9-MK_a.jpg

p-38-captured-jpg.jpg

ami2aa-jpg.jpg

german22-jpg-jpg.jpg

p38_10_t9-mk-jpg.jpg

p38_08_t9-mk-jpg.jpg

the pic source: Lockheed P-38 Lightning

T9-MK_b.jpeg

the source: German Warplanes 1939-1945, captured Allied aircraft in Luftwaffe service

Also found the short footage ( the link to it below ) and grabbed a couple of screen shots for making the general side view of the kite ...

t9mk.jpg

Although the quality of the footage copy isn't too great the dark anti-glare panes on the engine cowling can be noticed as well.

6.jpg

the source : Captured Lockheed P-38 Lightning Fighters - Destination's Journey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back