**** DONE: GB-56 1/72 P-47M - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone, my rather pedestrian builds benefit greatly from your comments and encouragement.

I'm trucking along now. Working on the engine block, cowling, which is not fitting that well. However it's a minor setback,, and once I'm happy with a dry fit the whole lot will be glued on.

Here's where I am now...

IMG_20221125_124249.jpg

Cheers Greg 👍

Thanks folks for all your comments.

Did a bit of painting over the weekend...
IMG_20221128_111944.jpg

Undersides is NMF . I'll be doing the gloss coat next and applying the decals.

The kit comes with rockets and P-38 style drop tanks which I don't think are appropriate for these markings. Would I get away with only putting on the hard points under the wings? Or would it be better leaving it clean?

Cheers Greg 👍

Thanks all 👍

I have encountered a problem...

Following application of the gloss coat I was met with this when it dried......

IMG_20221203_121122.jpg

IMG_20221203_120946.jpg

IMG_20221203_120952.jpg

I'm brush painting Humbrol Clear. Looks like dandruff!!

Obviously it's spoiling the finish. Any solutions or suggestions for saving this would be most welcome.

Cheers Greg

I use Humbrol Gloss clear, brushed on, and only had that problem once, and only mildly. I think it was caused by a small area of grease (probably off my fingers).
However, I'm seeing what looks like matt pigment particles on your model, which normally happens if matt clear isn't fully shaken/stirred before use, and/or too heavy a coat has been applied.
First, are you sure you used gloss and not matt, accidentally ?
Second, to see if the problem will be solved, go over a small, affected area with a brush wet with water. The white spots may disappear.
If they do, then a further thin coat should solve things. However, allow the current coat to fully dry for at least 8 hours before applying a second coat.

I use Humbrol Gloss clear, brushed on, and only had that problem once, and only mildly. I think it was caused by a small area of grease (probably off my fingers).
However, I'm seeing what looks like matt pigment particles on your model, which normally happens if matt clear isn't fully shaken/stirred before use, and/or too heavy a coat has been applied.
First, are you sure you used gloss and not matt, accidentally ?
Second, to see if the problem will be solved, go over a small, affected area with a brush wet with water. The white spots may disappear.
If they do, then a further thin coat should solve things. However, allow the current coat to fully dry for at least 8 hours before applying a second coat.
Hi Terry, I definitely used the gloss coat as my Matt varnish is Windsor and Newton, which is in a completely different bottle. I'm wondering if room temperature has effected the drying process. My workroom has no heating.

Cheers Greg 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back