**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Bf 109G-6, Bulgaria - WW2 Foreign Service (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Username: le_steph40
First name: Steph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Hasegawa JT47
Model: Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6
Scale: 1/48
Add-on: Eduard PE seatbelts, decals from Kora Decals (4855) and some scratch build.

The kit
s-l1600 (1).jpg

In the box here

Last edited:
Add me to those looking forward to seeing how you pull off the fuselage camo. Hope you will share your techniques?
I must admit that I don't really know how to do this camo. According to AJ-Press. Monografie Lotnicze N°42 & 50 "Messerschmitt Bf-109 pt.1 & 6", Kora indicates standard RLM74/75/76 camo with many mottles in RLM02 and RLM76 on the rear fuselage and the tail.
Other sources indicate standard camo scheme with touches of RLM71 on the rear fuselage and the tail...
I don't have a definitive opinion apart a probable dark color on the tail (RLM71 ?) but from some pictures it seems that the option given by Kora is probable (at least regarding the fuselage).
Any opinions ?
:)

Ok. This is where a NON-expert will weigh in. On the fuselage It appears to be a base of RLM 76. Then what appears to be mottles of RLM 71 on the main section and then some RLM 75 'slashes' on the back edge of the tail. For me it is always difficult to tell what is 'artistic license' and what is an actual rendering when looking at the color images supplied. Many of these images are 'enhanced' by adding shadings and highlighting. On the forward and center fuselage areas it is difficult (for me anyway) to separate if the 'lighter' greenish coloring is due to another color or, as I suspect, over spray of the RLM 71 onto the RLM 76 creating a 'new' color? Interesting, the BW photo appears to have a sharper mottled spray, with little or no over spray?

I am not skilled enough with airbrushing (not enough practice!) to keep those pesky splattering dots of paint off the areas I don't want to have mottled. So, as originally said, I am interested in how this will be accomplished.

Ralph, the molting can be done free hand or you can either make a template or buy a template. I've seen on YouTube where you can take a Scotch Bright pad and cut it thin and it makes a pretty good template for the molting, what I've tried in the past is 3x5 card with various holes torn in it. As always test on a mule. Thin the paint way down (50 50) and test shot, low pressure. As normal I'll probably be told I don't know what I'm doing but we'll call it one cents worth!

Ralph, the molting can be done free hand or you can either make a template or buy a template. I've seen on YouTube where you can take a Scotch Bright pad and cut it thin and it makes a pretty good template for the molting, what I've tried in the past is 3x5 card with various holes torn in it. As always test on a mule. Thin the paint way down (50 50) and test shot, low pressure. As normal I'll probably be told I don't know what I'm doing but we'll call it one cents worth!
"In for a penny, in for a pound" as the saying goes Don. :D

Mottling seems to be the regular RLM 02 and 70 with 74/75 in the mix on the fuselage. I use silly putty for such camo and it gives good results. For each layer of color, cover the surface with a thin layer of silly putty and poke small holes for lines. Repeat.

But of course there are other very good ways too. Free hand is the best but requires a lot of experience and patience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back