**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 F6F-5N Nightfighter - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model: F6F-5N kit #84133
Scale: 1:48

An unusual excursion, for me, into US aircraft builds. This one looked simple when I saw the kit online, minimal camo detailing, and small. Surprise! Need to stretch the shelf area to fit this 'small' build. But I will make room as it should be a good contrast addition to all those RLM coated ones.

F6F-5N box art.JPG

F6F-5N Inst page 1.JPG

Two schemes offered. This is the simpler of the two and, to me, more fitting of a night fighter.

F6F-5N scheme.JPG

Question" If you look at the front on view of the illustration you see numerals '76' on the engine cowling. But these do not appear on any of the other views. Conversely, the other scheme, which has '21', has it shown in all views. What am I missing? 21 is in the decal set but not 76?

This was the first choice I had, but I thought I changed the model so go vary more models

let's go ralph!!!!

This was the first choice I had, but I thought I changed the model so go vary more models

let's go ralph!!!!
Yes. A battle of who has the truest/bluest finish. Other than that, if you are building Eduard, all you have to do is put all the parts in a bag, sprinkle in some glue, and wallah...a perfect build! Yeah, right.

Built 2 Eduard Hellcats and the kits do build very easily.

Yes, thanks. I had already bookmarked these for reference. Great builds to peek at as I progress, especially the pit.

Andy - thought it was going to be easy picking up the correct colors, using Mr Color Aquious acrylic, but no local shops carry. So I can either substitute for something else or pay more for shipping than the paint is! What brand and colors did you use for the blue and interior? Maybe you mixed? I have a ton of Tamiya and Vallejo to grab and mix if necessary.

Ralph, I assume you looked through my thread. If I didn't say it there then I will need to go back and see if I made any notes on it. I'll get back to you later today.

Ralph, I assume you looked through my thread. If I didn't say it there then I will need to go back and see if I made any notes on it. I'll get back to you later today.
I did, but quickly. I'll go back and see if there are any search hits on paints. Just getting frustrated, like Don, on having huge collections of paints and nothing to use. Don't mind buying additional, just (my fault) don't realize that after reviewing the instructions, the ones already here are not close and yet another mail order (1 week +) is needed for delivery. I guess that's why I really like the Luftwaffe builds; plenty of RLM XXs in stock and there is usually no surprises kit to kit.

Seems that you did. And darn it you had to do a bit of alchemy to get what you wanted!
The Dark Sea Blue did not go as well as I would have liked. The Humbrol paint, although glossy, was not dark enough so I had to darken it with black, but the only black enamel I had was an old Model Master flat black. The first coat went on nicely but the finish was a semi-gloss and showed some of the white. The second coat did not go well as I had the paint dust up on me and the finish became quite rough so I'll need to sand it down. Given that the dark blue should be glossy, I think I'll forget about the mix I made and go out to get some proper gloss paint and redo it. Stay tuned.

I suppose I will do another order. But this will cost BIG time. I'll just have to add a couple of kits to 'justify' the orders shipping costs.Oh well. Never say I have to many kits, just what to fill with. I have been eying some Spits lately... Yeah, that's justification enough. Just have to be shure I read the paint requirements before I press the final 'order' button. Just built in another delay in getting this started though.

Yeah, that brings back some memories. I had an old tin of Humbrol that I wanted to use. Guess it didn't go so well.

Just built in another delay in getting this started though.

IMHO there's no need to delay the start of this build because you don't have the final paint. You need to get the whole thing togther first before the camo colour anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back