***DONE: Henschel HS-129 B-1, MTO Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Well after some heavy contemplation I've decided to get in on my first Group Build on this forum. Today I went to my local Hobby Shop and surprisingly I found exactly what I was looking for, and on top of that they also had the Edwards PE kit for this model. JACKPOT!!!!:wav:

If anyone here followed my thread on this aircraft in the Technical section under Aircraft Markings and Camouflage will know I have some obstacles to overcome to be able to get this done on time. While getting it done on time is the ultimate goal I'm just looking forward to building this thing. Its like a prehistoric A-10 Warthog.

As of this moment I don't know the exact desert paint scheme I will be using. It will have to wait till I get my reference book.

Username: Dirkpitt289
First Name: Dirk
Category: ???
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Italeri
Model Type: Henschel HS-129 b-1
Details:To be determined
Extras:Eduard PE Kit 72 174

2_3.jpg

2_3_a1.jpg

The History:
The Henschel Hs-129 was developed by engineer Friedrich Nicholaus in response to a 1937 request by the German Air Ministry for a small, heavily armored ground attack/support aircraft equipped with a minimum of two 20 mm cannon and two rifle caliber machine guns.

Nicholaus' design stressed pilot survivability. The cockpit was surrounded by an armor plated "bathtub" of triangular shape, resulting in the fuselage's distinctive appearance, and bullet resistant window panels of nearly three inch thickness.

The need for an effective airborne tank destroyer became painfully evident following the Red Army's overwhelming winter counteroffensive of 1941-42. With massed formations of Soviet armor penetrating deep behind German lines, urgent priority was given to the Hs-129's production.

In addition to the standard fixed armament of paired 20 mm cannon and 7.92 mm machine guns, the B1/R2 variant featured a MK 101 30 mm automatic cannon housed in a ventrally mounted external weapons pod. Production of the B1/R2 version began in January of 1942, with the first units being delivered to the Eastern Front in April.

Research Material:

HS129inAction.jpg

The Model:
This model is Italeri's No: 073 1/72 scale

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

The Extras:

IMG_1387.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be good, don't often see this type around, so a nice change. I think Dan has a larger scale version lined up too.

Looking forward to this one. :D

If you're interested, Aires makes a resin cockpit for this kit and the B-3 version as well. :D

Looking forward to this one. :D

If you're interested, Aires makes a resin cockpit for this kit and the B-3 version as well. :D

I think I'm good to go with what I have. Besides being a 1/72 scale model there really won't be much to see let alone make a comparison between resin and oob. I'm curious though how does Aries make them? I don't know much about working with resin other then what came with my Encore MIG 3 model. It was a pain in
the (_!_)

I can't wait to get started on this one but I'm trying to be good and waiting for the reference book to come in. In the mean time I'm finishing up some work for some clients and putzing around with the other on going projects. I want my table clear for the HS-129 build and the up coming GB when I can crack open my b-17's.

Giggidy!

Last edited:
I'm curious though how does Aries make them? I don't know much about working with resin other then what came with my Encore MIG 3 model. It was a pain in
the (_!_)

I've only done a little bit with resin parts so I'm probably not the best person to ask but I'll try.

Resin parts are typically cast in silicon rubber molds which allow a very high degree of detail. However silicon molds degrade much faster than the molds for polystyrene plastic. That reduces the number of production runs one can get with the molds and raises costs.

You need to make sure that you are very careful dealing with resin parts if you are cutting or sanding them. The dust from them can be extremely nasty and dangerous if inhaled. And attaching resin parts typically requires the use of CA (superglue).

The only issues I've had with resin parts was the tendency of the small fiddly bits to break if you even look at them crossways. I know that some resin kits have problems with tiny bubbles in the castings which are a MAJOR pain in the arse but I haven't done a full resin kit yet, just a few accessories here and there. :D

I've only done a little bit with resin parts so I'm probably not the best person to ask but I'll try.

Resin parts are typically cast in silicon rubber molds which allow a very high degree of detail. However silicon molds degrade much faster than the molds for polystyrene plastic. That reduces the number of production runs one can get with the molds and raises costs.

You need to make sure that you are very careful dealing with resin parts if you are cutting or sanding them. The dust from them can be extremely nasty and dangerous if inhaled. And attaching resin parts typically requires the use of CA (superglue).

The only issues I've had with resin parts was the tendency of the small fiddly bits to break if you even look at them crossways. I know that some resin kits have problems with tiny bubbles in the castings which are a MAJOR pain in the arse but I haven't done a full resin kit yet, just a few accessories here and there. :D

Thanks for the info Kgambit. I think for right now I'm going to stay away from the resin.

HS129inAction.jpg

Please be in the mail when I get home, Please be in the mail when I get home, Please be in the mail when I get home, please please please....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back