**** DONE: No. 175 Squadron Hawker Typhoon Mk. 1B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Username: Dirkpitt289
Name: Dirk
Catagory: Bigginner
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Academy
Model Type: Hawker Typhoon Mk. 1B
Extras: None to be found at this time. May change

'My pilots crowded round to get my first reactions. What did you think of her? "I think she's great", I said. "The Speed is really exciting. And what a steady gun platform she must make.'
Newly promoted Sqn Ldr Hugh 'Cocky' Dundas

No. 175 Squadron RAF

The 175 Squadron RAF was a part of Second Tactical Air Force No. 83 Group RAF in support of the WWII Normandy landings, and supported the allied advance through France Holland and Belgium on into Germany. The squadron was active from under canvas on Temporary Landing Grounds in a matter of days after the D-Day landings. The squadron initially flew Hawker Hurricane fighters and was later outfitted with Hawker Typhoons prior to the invasion. The squadron was based in various locations during World War II such as RAF Redhill and RAF Dunsfold.

Motto: Stop at nothing

HawkerTyphoonProfile175Sqr01.jpg

At the time that the first Hawker Hurricane rolled out of the factory in 1937, Hawker started thinking of a successor. They wanted to create a more advanced fighter to replace the Hurricane when the time wasd there. The design team, headed by Sydney Camm, thought up a fighter that was very close to the F.18/37 requirement of the British Air Ministry. This requirement was looking for an advanced fighter, powered by the Rolls Royce Vulture X-type or the Napier Sabre H-type engine, and heavier armament in the way of 4 × 20 mm cannons. Hawker decided that 12 × 0.303 inch (7.7 mm) guns would also increase the firepower by 50%, so they included that option as well.Two airframe variants were developed, the R-type (for the Rolls Royce Vulture engine), and the N-type (for the Napeir Sabre engine). These were to be named the 'Tornado' and Typhoon' respectively.The design emphasized on strength and maintainability, instead of elegance, and was also one of the first design to have a 'bubble'-like cockpit like also seen on the North American P-51D or the Focke-Wulf Fw 190.

Specifications:
Hawker Typhoon MK1b
Dimensions:
Wing span: 41 ft. 7 in. (12.67 m)
Length: 31 ft. 11 in. (9.73 m)
Height: 15 ft. 4 in. (4.67 m)
Weights:
Empty: 8,840 lb (4010 kg)
Operational: 13,980 lbs max
Performance:
Maximum Speed: 412 m.p.h. (663 km/h) @ 19,000 ft. (5,791 m) clean
Service Ceiling: 35,200 ft. (10,729 m); clean
Range: 570 miles (917 km)
980 miles with two 216 gallon (818 liter) auxiliary tanks.
Powerplant:
1x Napier Sabre IIA rated at 2180 Hp
Armament:
4 x 20 mm Hispano MkII fixed forward fireing cannons, 140 rounds each, 8 x 60 rockets instead of bombs or 2 x 1000 or 500 lb bombs

The Model

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

This being my first RAF bird I had to pick up some new paints. This is the aircraft exterior colors.

IMG_2601.jpg

The Reference Material:

IMG_2602.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be a good one Dirk. Note though, Dark Slate Grey was not used on RAF Typhoons, it was a Fleet Air Arm colour, of a green- grey hue. You need RAF Dark Green and either Ocean Grey or Dark Sea Grey (the same really) for the upper surfaces.
I can't give the numbers for the paints you've got, but the Humbrol numbers will be able to be cross-referenced on the paint reference charts. These are:-
Dark Green = Humbrol (enamel) Number 30 matt.
or
Dark Green = Humbrol (enamel) Number 163 satin.
Dark Sea Grey/Ocean Grey = Humbrol (enamel) Number 27 matt. (add a small spot of white for this scale)
Note that, if using Humbrol, the Dark Gren Number 30 has appeared a little too bright lately, so No.163 might be a better option. The satin or matt finish doesn't really matter, as the clear coats will take care of this.
Hope this helps.

One of those aircraft with a really fitting name, being on the receiving end of a Typhoon, was not a good way to start a day, or in any other way for that matter....

Surely would make you regular in the toilet department!

What's up with this? I go away for a little bit and come back to see "Toilet" talk going on in my thread? What's up with that? How could anyone show such disrespect for my Typhoon? :cry:

Just kidding. :D

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and to Terry for catching the paint error. (Damn guy is costing me money. Now I have to go spend another $4.30 for another jar of paint) :D

Rochie, Thank you for that photo. The bottom picture is the bird I'm building. Was there any reference to the pilot or other insightful info about the plane?

Now that all of that is done we can get to the reason I am posting tonight.

Harrison, Jan. Keep your eyes in the rear view mirror cause I'm coming for you guys. All it takes is the first bit of paint and away we go. :p

On your left (attached to the spree) is the Academy Mk.1 compared to the Airfix Mk.1 on the right. To make up for the lack of detail Airfix decided to give us our moneys worth by adding more plastic to the model. If it seems like I'm picking on the Airfix model its because I am. :lol: All joking aside I think the Airfix will dress up well.

IMG_2609.jpg

Airfix, Look at that cockpit detail...

IMG_2610.jpg

Academy

IMG_2611.jpg

Till next time, thanks for taking the time to look at my work.

Last edited:
Harrison, Jan. Keep your eyes in the rear view mirror cause I'm coming for you guys. All it takes is the first bit of paint and away we go. :p

The gauntlet has been thrown, the challenge is on and may the best Typhoon win:mad:....:mad:………… Heck, it's a Typhoon, they'll all be winners. :p..........:p Good start Dirk

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back