**** DONE: Revell 1/72 Me 262B-1a/U1 of 10./NJG 11, Reinfeld, May 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Revell
Model Type: Me 262B-1a/U1
Details: 'Red 12' flown by Leutnant Herbert Altner, 10./NJG 11, Reinfeld, May 1945

I have this kit in my stash for a while and now got the perfect excuse to finally build it. As always my preferred scale 1/72, it will be done out of the box with work starting as soon as my He 111 for BoB GB is finished.

Attachments

• 1_01.jpg
    1_01.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Me-262B-1a/U1 night fighter was developed from a trainer version of Messerschmitt's famous jet. Being a two seater same as the trainer, with second seat positioned in the place of rear fuselage fuel tank, the aircraft had provision for two 300 liter external fuel tanks under forward fuselage in order to increase the range. The aircraft was equiped with "FuG-218 Neptun" long-wavelength radar and "Naxos" centimetric-radar-homing gear, plus armament of two MK-108 30 millimeter cannon and two MG-151 20 millimeter cannon. The type was put through trials in October 1944. The Neptun "antler" antennas slowed the aircraft down, but it was still faster than the hated British Mosquito, which preyed on German night-fighters.
During the following winter, Kurt Welter, head of "Kommando Stamp", used Me-262A-1a day fighters for "Wilde Sau" night fighting, and in April the unit obtained also a few of the Me-262B-1a/U1 night-fighter variants. Despite all the difficulties, Welter claimed 20 kills, making him one of the first jet aces and likely the highest-scoring jet ace in all history.
As the Me 262B-1a/U1 was always considered only a temporary solution, by the end of the war Messerschmitt was working on a prototype of the improved Me-262B-2a night fighter with a longer fuselage and increased fuel capacity. It was fitted with the "Neptun" radar at the outset, but there were plans to fit it with the "Berlin" centimetric radar, with improved range and resolutions and a dish hidden in the nose, instead of the clumsy and drag-inducing "antlers" of the long-wavelength radar. There was also consideration of fitting the Me-262B-2a with upward-firing cannon installed in the rear fuselage to allow it to attack RAF bombers from their belly blind spot. (Source of info: airpages.ru)

Me 262B-1a/U1 W.Nr.111980 'Red 12' was one of the seven aircraft of this type operated by the 10./NJG 11. According to info published in Osprey's book 'German Jet Aces of WW2' it was flown by Leutnant Herbert Altner. Along with other aircraft of this unit 'Red 12' was surendered to the British at Schleswig-Jagel in May 1945 and is shown in the first picture still in its original markings being inspected by RAF officers. After being ferried to Gilze-Rijen, this machine overshot the runway and sustained minor damage. It was probably this incident which resulted in the starboard intake being damaged and replaced with the mismatched example as shown in the second picture. (Source of the pictures: Nachtjäger Vol 2 - Luftwaffe Night Fighter Units 1943-1945.)

The last photo, with a close up of a beautifully restored Me 262B-1a/U1 displayed in a museum in South Africa, shows the typical camouflage of Me 262 night fighters serving with 10./NJG 11.

Attachments

• 1_02.jpg
    1_02.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 726
  • 1_03.jpg
    1_03.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 1_04.jpg
    1_04.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 377
  • 1_05.jpg
    1_05.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Top choice and Wow, that camo...................

Yea, I know... gonna be a challenge to do that camo with a hand brush! :shock:
Maybe, that's why I was so reluctant to build this model for all this years I had it in my stash. Hope I'll be able to do it justice. Thankfully, it's only on the fuselage - undersides are black and upper wings are solid RLM 83. :)

Pardon me since I am writing the history on Kommando Welter will tell you your sources have the history behind the NJG 11 unit incorrect. the twin seaters came into the Kommando in March of 45 and almost all destroyed in the Burg bombing.

Red 8 in South Africa never flew operationally.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to see you make this plane - the Me-262 is a fave here.
And I like the camo scheme. Good choice. :thumbleft: :thumbright:

Pardon me since I am writing the history on Kommando Welter will tell you your sources have the history behind the NJG 11 unit incorrect. the twin seaters came into the Kommando in March of 45 and almost all destroyed in the Burg bombing.

Red 8 in South Africa never flew operationally.

So, the unit received the type in March 1945 and not in April as I wrote... Thanks for correction Erich. If you have some interesting information regarding the operational use of Me 262B-1a/U1 with 10./NJG 11 feel free to share. Would like to learn more.

According to these pictures from book "Nachtjäger Vol 2 - Luftwaffe Night Fighter Units 1943-1945" it looks that at least three (out of seven?) Me 262 two seat night fighters from NJG 11 found their way into captivity - "Red 8", "Red 9" and "Red 12".

Attachments

• 1_06.jpg
    1_06.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 694
red 10 is in the line-up as well.

as I said there was a mix of single and twin seaters at Burg until the field was obliterated, after that and the move to a couple of grass fields including Reinfeld the Kommando was separated the single seat 262A-1a's never flew alongside the twin seaters. for obvious reasons the twin seaters were the future of the jet night fighting against BC heavies. the days of chasing Mossies were over..........

Time to finally get this show on the road me thinks, so here are the first progress pictures... I'm rather pleased with how instrument panels turned out, where I used silver marker for the details. Though don't know how much of that can be seen on this photo of mine. I made dozen of shots of the cockpit and this is the only one not completely blurred. Really need to learn how to make decent close ups.

Attachments

• 2_01.jpg
    2_01.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 2_02.jpg
    2_02.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back