**** DONE: Spitfire LF IX MK392 JE-J flown by Wg Cdr 'Johnnie' Johnson, June 1944 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
User Name: Rochie
First Name: Karl
Category: 3 Beginner
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: ICM
Type: Supermarine Spitfire IX
Extra's: none

well with my Ju 88 nearly done its time for my next kit.
i plan on doing ICM's Spitfire IX in the colours of MK392 JE-J flown by Wg Cdr 'Johnnie' Johnson, OC No 144 Wg, June 1944.
pics have been difficult to find so any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 1258915472_image_6.jpg
    1258915472_image_6.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,258
  • 9_112.jpg
    9_112.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,474
Last edited:
in what area's is care needed Peter ?????
and is it possible to build the kit without the engine inside any idea ?

Hi Karl

The ICM appears to be the best representation of the MK9 in 1/48 scale. It's been noted in reviews and from looking at mine in the box, problem areas with this kit are excessive "flash", sink marks and incomplete moldings (watch out!). That multi-piece nose is a pain to assemble. Lack of locating lugs on the fuselage halves mean careful taping required to get everything just so.

I don't see a reason why it couldn't be built without the engine (does that help?:rolleyes:)

But I have seen some magnificent builds of this kit on the net and in magazines, so massive potential here for you to drop out something really special! 8)

Cheers

Peter

yeah there's a bit of flash on my kit, i plan on buiding the nose buttoned up so building and painting the engine would be a bit of a waste so might leave it out if i can.
thanks for the advice mate

I have bad news for you. That iis not how MK392 looked.

Most representations of this Spitfire are basically his earlier Spitfire, EN398, with the serial number altered and 'invasion stripes' added. The main differences between the two Spitfires are:

MK392 did not have the maple leaf badges or Wing Commander pennant,
The shape of the letter Js was different, those on MK392 having flat bottoms.

There are only two known photographs of MK392 taken in the summer 1944 with partial invasion stripes and winter of 1945 after the invasion stripes were removed and the spinner painted black and the Sky band on the fuselage painted over. Both, previously unpublished, photographs can been seen in 2nd TAF Volume 4.

Watermark decals are the only company I know of that have produced an accurate set of decals for MK392.

Water Mark* decal sheet 48004

There are still differences of opinion on whether it had an 'e' wing or 'c' wing.

Hi Antoni saw what you'd posted on a spitfire forum earlier today, but i'm going to build it as it comes in the box although it may not be historically accurate i still think it looks the part

Karl, I think I have some accurate info on all the Spits Johnson used carrying the different forms of JE-J codes, including the two MkIX's, one of which was used as his 'back up' machine. I'll see what I can find in the 'rubbish plie' of as yet un-filed paper etc! However, if you're doing it OOB, you proabably won't need it!
As I mentioned on the 'phone, here's a quick answer to any problem areas with the kit.
Although I haven't yet built my example, I've done numerous test fittings and 'what if...' studies, and reached the following conclusions.
1) There is a certain amount of flash present, but nothing which can't easily be removed.
2) I only found a couple of sink marks, which are easily rectified, unlike the early examples of this kit, which had them all over, including the wheels. Also, there is no evidence of part-moulded components on my example.
3) The mould release agent used here is very heavy, meaning the parts must be washed before construction begins. It's too heavy to allow it to be removed by normal handling during construction.
4) The lack of locating pins means it's a good idea to cement small 'tabs' of plastic card into areas along one fuselage half, to aid in joining the fuselage. Careful alignment and taping in place is required to ensure a smooth joint.
5) Examination/test fitting suggests the model can be assembled without including the engine assembly, although the engine bulkhead might help in alignment and strength. The cowlings are moulded as part of the fuselage (with secondary, separate cowling parts too), with recessed 'cut' lines moulded in. Exercise care when aligning the nose area, and there shouldn't be a probelem, although you may need to fit a spline to hold the prop in place.
6) One area criticised in some reviews is the shape of the control column grip, which has been described as 'square' On my example, it's more oval, and not that far different from the later grip with the cannon trigger. To be honest, once painted, it will hardly be noticed, so it can be left as is.
7) Other than the above, this is probably the best kit of the MkIX, certainly in 1/48th scale, with the possible exception of the new Tamiya 32nd scale example, which isn't really a fair comparison, and, given careful handling and accurate alignment throughout construction, shouldn't present any major problems.
Hope this helps mate, and looking forward to seeing it develop.

Nice choice Karl.

On the kit, Terry's summed it up very well. The only thing I would add is that if you keave the engine out, you'll need to build some kind of internal support box to mount the exhaust stubs. This should be too difficult using plastic card.

Looking forward to this.

thanks all !
cheers Terry will help alot, and Andy was thinking about how to fit the exhausts without the engine block !!!!!!

just looking through my left over decals and it looks like i might have enough bits to turn it into EN398

Nice choice Karl, looking forward to the finished product.

BTW, Johnny Johnson was my AOC when stationed at Khormaksar, Aden in the early 60's and liked to use the privileges of his post with an Argosy transporter constantly in VIP fitment at his disposal.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back