Doolittle Raider bombs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DarrellC

Airman
Jan 30, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Building a Doolittle Raider. Going to sit it on a carrier deck base. Wondering if the bombs were loaded on the carrier or were they loaded before being put on it?

If this is wrong forum, apologies!

A couple of shots here... what do you think?

h64472.jpg

g41191.jpg

i02457.jpg

0.jpg

battle_doolittle68.jpg

Loaded on at the last minute, no one wants live ordanance on deck any longer than necessary. As to the pics, The Japanese had sent Peace Medals to the US just before Pearl. Jimmy was simply returning them

I didn't mean these medals. As memo serves bombs are kept in an armoury because of security rules. Just like the rest of explosives e.g. torpedos, ammo. So I don't think bombs were hanged on raks when bombers were embarked. These could be loaded on the carrier with B-25s but separately only. But later these bombers were armed with them of course to be ready for taking off.

Last edited:
As memo serves these bombs were of Natural Grey ( but could be of a little bit lighter grey colour ) with black strips and inscriptions. Also I've seen these with white writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back