Dornier Do 17

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FlexiBull

Airman 1st Class
Feb 9, 2009
In the UK press today, this Dornier has been found on the Goodwin Sands.

Nazi jet found in sea off Deal, Kent | The Sun |News

Dornier 17 - RAF Museum recovery from Goodwin Sands - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums

Please excuse the UK press especially the sun for claiming that the Germans had an operational "jet" in 1940. \The fact of the matter is that the editor couldn't quite spell a long word like aeroplane so used a three letter word instead!!:lol:

Makes an interesting future recovery - we hope!

Roger - wanted to put this in the news section but couldn't get access

Great news! Let's hope it can be recovered, in one piece, and restored for display. It appears to be upside down, presumably sunk that way and settled into the sand. I noticed the comments on the other forum link mentioning dives on an inverted Do17, so almost certainly the same one.
It'll be good to learn of it's history, unit, and final operation etc. in the fullness of time.

The headline "Nazi Jet" isnt surprising the Suns target audience is people who have to take there socks off to count past 10. No one ever went broke selling crap to morons

I saw this on another forum...and one source indicated that 2 of the crew did not make it out and drowned. Would this not make the aircraft a war grave? Would it be permissible to raise it in this case?

If the wreck has not been designated a war grave, then it is not an issue. A designation would have to be made under English law before any salvage attempt if it were to have any effect.

I saw this on another forum...and one source indicated that 2 of the crew did not make it out and drowned. Would this not make the aircraft a war grave? Would it be permissible to raise it in this case?

I would think that would be only true if the crew members were still in the a/c but they are not. One is buried in Holland and the other at Cannock Chase,afaik. The other 2 crew survived.

The importance of this find cannot be measured, but guessed at.

This one aircraft is likely more valuable then the P-38 Glacier Girl.

dornier_sidescan-wa_02.jpg

What is happening with the P-38 found in the sand of some British bay a couple of years back? (can't remember the details)

Maid of Harlech

There you go Milosh.

Dornier

Just at the present time in the UK I'm not sure where the money would come from for the retrieval. Certain artefacts have already been taken from the wreck site, I only hope that they are in the hands of some responsible people.

Kent Battle of Britain Museum, Hawkinge. Welcome to the web-site of the Kent Battle of Britain Museum

This museum would be a fitting place to rest the Flying Pencil. I hadn't realised that it existed till the David Jason BoB tribute documentary.

Last edited:
It seems the RAF Museum has a funding boost, or huge sponsors. Likely all tied in with the 70th.

The new museum building, all the events and announcements, and now this.

whatever the reason, they will need a huge sum, millions of $$$, to at least properly preserve it, and it looks like they may.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back