Drawings for RR Merlin

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

goofi

Recruit
Nov 2, 2010
Hello,
am planning to create a CAD-model of RR Merlin, version 45 and 60-series.

So far, I haven't found any dimensioned drawings needed to create an accurate model. (I've Trumpeter's 1/28 Spit Mk.V and want to replace the engine that comes with the kit as its level of detail is ... improvable.)

Has anyone an idea where to look for dimensioned drawings (of any version)? - Any tip is highly welcome!

Thanks and best regards,
Claus

It sounds like you are making a scale model, so only the external dimensions are needed. The MkII operations manual has a dimensioned drawing. Whilst the M45 is different (carb is main external difference) the drawing, plus photos, should help you scale the differences.

The M60 is a 2 stage engine and differs more significantly, however from the front of the wheelcase forward there are similarities.

Attachments

• sCREENSHOT_mERLIN.JPG
    sCREENSHOT_mERLIN.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,643
Hi dairwin,
yes, external dimensions are needed. Which "MkII operations manual" do you mean? Merlin or Spitfire? I plan to model both versions. As many dimensions as possible are desirable but the basic dimensions (giving also the scale of the drawing) would be much help already. As the basic engine remained the same, every Merlin version is of interest.

Hi Shinpanchi,
thanks for the link. The homepage has got pictures of the castings which are quite helpful in understanding the configuration of the engine. The drawings look quite good but are drawings of a functional model which does not claim to be 100% accurate. (The length given in the drawing does not match the length of any Merlin version - scale taken into account)

Hi Azimech,
yes, that's the plan.

Thanks for all replies!
Claus

Hi Goofi;

Dimensioned drawings of Merlin parts and assemblies are actually a bit challenging to come by, especially in maintenance manuals. I suppose you could get the microfilm rolls from the Smithsonian, but they are not cheap.

However, over the last 30 years, I have collected every image and every drawing of Merlins that I can get my hands on, and I have many with dimensions. Some are assembly dwgs, others are just single components like con rods, so I suspect that you get some use out of what I have.

Give me some idea of what you'd like to see first and I'll dig up what I have. It's best to email me at [email protected] since I don't check into this site as often as I should. In fact, I forgot I was already a member when I went to register today. I guessed I joined a couple years ago. Also, cc all email to my home at [email protected] as I have all my Merlin info there.

I'll help where I can.

Cheers, Tom.

Hi dairwin,
yes, external dimensions are needed. Which "MkII operations manual" do you mean? Merlin or Spitfire? I plan to model both versions. As many dimensions as possible are desirable but the basic dimensions (giving also the scale of the drawing) would be much help already. As the basic engine remained the same, every Merlin version is of interest.

Claus

Merlin MkII Operations manual. See attached screen dump.

DAI

Attachments

• Merlin MKII external dimensions.png
    Merlin MKII external dimensions.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 2,076
Hello dairwin,
many thanks, this drawing is very helpful to me! :)

cheers,
Claus

Hi
I have a 1940 hand book for the merlin Viii and 30 engine
It has some pull out dimensioned drawings (installation diagrams)
If you still need some information just let me know
Engine

Hi Engine,

Welcome to the forum.

May I ask, is your MkVIII/30 manual the AP1590D and M?

I have Merlin XX diagrams, but brewerjerry has not come back with which XX he is interested in.

DAI

Last edited:
Dear Tom,

A friend is building a working scale model of the Merlin and is looking for AP1590G and associated drawings. Can you help pse?

Many thanks

PB

Iain

Could you pse supply me with copies of AP1590 G Vol I II and III I am helping a friend to build a model of the Merlin XX and need AP1590G.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Yours gratefully

Paul Burt

[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back