Dust/Sand Filters for the Tomahawk Kittyhawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bruno_

Airman
Nov 19, 2006
Dear all,

I'm looking for some information about dust/sand filters mounted on P40 models which fought in North Africa. I'm interested in sketches/drawings explaining how they were built and placed into the aircraft/engine, how they were operated by the pilot and, finally, I'd like to get some info about their effects (supposedly a reduction) on flight performances.

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

A&AEE document details a:

- 2,900 foot loss in full throttle height
- 16 mph loss in top speed
- 800 foot loss in rated climb altitude

Tomahawk II AK160 (Allison V1710-C15)
24 May 1941

This used the V-shaped Vokes 'dry type' air cleaners. These were fitted in the air intake on top of the engine cowling.

For the Kittyhawk Ia (Allison V1710-F3R) the difference in performance was a loss of 9 mph at full throttle height (13,800 feet)

int.jpg

Last edited:
A further question about "V-shaped Vokes 'dry type' air cleaners fitted in the air intake on top of the engine cowling": was this an "emergency" solution? My question is related to the idea that any efficient filtering system should be designed and built so that a pilot operated by-pass of the filter section should be possible. If not, the engine (aircraft) performance would be severely degraded.

Finally, I've heard of Abicair filters for the P40, but I totally ignore their shape and postition and the versions of P40 which adopted them. Does someone know something more about them?

Again, thanks in advance for any answer to my two questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back