Duxford Autumn Airshow...

Discussion in 'Warbird Displays' started by Geedee, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

#1 Geedee, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Last weekend was the Autumn Airshow at Duxford and I went along with my new camera and lens set up to get some practice in before next years airshows and events start, to get some practice in and see what I could take.

The weather on the sunday (day of the show) was downright diabolical, with torrential rain and very strong winds. At around 09:30 in the morning there were 5 planes parked up on the flightline walk. at 11:30there were a few more added but the airfield dropped the access price from a fiver down to £2.00 and still people weren't going through the gate.

At this point I nearly said 's*d it' and was walking back to the truck in me wellies and wet weather gear, ready to drive home and write the weekend off, when the rain stopped...and the show went ahead.

As I've said, this was trail to play with the new camera setup and I am please to report that I am very, very pleased with it all.

I've found the area that the lens doesn't like to work in... 400mm in gloomy conditions...as the pictures are very grainy and lacking in definition. However, what I then started to do was to pre-set the lens to somewhere between 250 and 350 and the results are what I was hoping to be able to achieve :) . This wasn't helped by the fact that I couldn't find the manual for the camera and could I think what AV / TV etc meant and what settings to use ?...could I b*ggery so it was a case of trail and error. I've no doubt that given clear sky with that thing called the Sun up high, the lens will be better on the 400mm shots.

I've posted a lot of these on FB so apologies if you've seen them there. and I'm not going to name each and every plane in the pics, in-case I name one incorrectly :)

And I thought the shot with the Chipmunk and the two Buchon's was brilliant. They all lined up and at the same time firewalled the loud-levers. You couldn't hear the poor little Chippie's clockwork for the roar from the two Merlins....but ya know what ?....the Chippie kept up for the first few feet and her tailwheel was up and she was airborne before the Buchons !.... Respect. That sequence made my day :)

Attached Files:

2. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

And the next batch. Was trying all sorts of different settings and was prepared to write-off the weekend if it didn't work out quite right on the photo side of things. I was especially please with the shots of vapour coming off Sally B's prop tips and the full frontal of ML407 coming down-the-chute ! :)

And interesting to note the dent on the Hurricane prop spinner !

Attached Files:

3. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

And the final set for today...still having horrendous problems accessing this site and to start a thread or post pictures is nigh on impossible unless I go through a very devious sequence of finding my way around :evil:

Attached Files:

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Well-Known Member

Workin' for the man....
    Cool!! Great shots Gary :cool:

5. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Beaut shots Gary, and looks like a better line-up than the September show.
    Interesting to see the wind had obviously veered, with take-off/landing from the west. Where were you positioned mate?
    And I know all about trying out the kit - still getting to grips with my outfit!

6. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Good ones Gary. I too like the Fortress pic. Also noticed the mismatched camo demarcation at the rudder on the Wildcat. Mistake or intentional?

7. fubar57

fubar57 Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    Got some great shots in there Gary. My favorite is the Cat in the third set.

Geo