Duxford Battle of Britain airshow

Discussion in 'Warbird Displays' started by Geedee, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

Duxfords Sept airshow this year has a distinct Battle of Britain feel about it.

Imperial War Museum Duxford > What's On > Air Shows and Flying > Air Shows : The Battle of Britain Air Show

And take a look at the list of participating A/C...

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/upload/pdf/Participation_18.8.10.pdf

5 X Hurricanes
    16 X Spitfires
    And then theres the Lancaster, Fortress, '51's....

And a solitary Buchon to get them all cornered :D

Also, for the weekend, there is a very big Flight Simulater 'expo' in the Airspace hangar so I will be coming back home with the latest '51 add-on for FSX and few more tasty looking bundles I've been watching

Tony and I are travelling up on the Friday before to capture the arrivals and then staying overnight ready for a early start on the Saturday. Not sure if we're doing the Sunday as well, but will see how things go.

Yes, we will take a few piccies

2. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Got my flight and accommodations booked Gary. Alas, I was was hoping to get a gold pass for the weekend but they were sold out so I just got the 2 day standard pass.

Would be great to meet you and Tony there!

Anyone else going?

3. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Let me know where you're all staying guys. I don't know if my legs will take all the standing / walking at the show itself, but I'll try to get down to at least meet up with you for a pint or six !

4. Crimea_River

That would be bloody fantastic!

I'm staying at the Dorset House B&B about 4-5 miles from the museum arriving Friday night. Not sure how I'm getting there yet. Arriving at Heathrow at 11am Friday and need to catch a train, probably to Cambridge. I'm kinda loathe to drive since I'd be the only one driving on the correct side of the road!

5. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

Tony and I are in the Travellodge, about 4 miles from DX. Not sure what time we're getting to DX on friday, possibly around midday now.

We're digging at a crash site later this afternoon, so I'll see what can be arranged re a meet up, iether at DX or in Friday eve. Heck....need to go out and get some grub anyway !.

I'll be back

6. Wayne Little

Wayne Little Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's going to be a great event..!!

7. wheelsup_cavu

wheelsup_cavu Well-Known Member

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Home Page:
    Looking forward to the pictures.

Wheels

8. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

#8 Geedee, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
    Okay guys....heres just a few from the event.

I brought a new IS lens on the friday morning before picking up Tony (Rocketeer) and travelling up to DX so this event was a trial to see how things would pan (pun intened !) out photo wise. hmmmmm !. Had a few issues with focusing and whatnot so consequently took just under 700 piccies on the Friday and the sauturday (I normally average around 2K per day) and when we got back Saturday evening....didn't stay for the Sunday due to prior arrangements... I binned over 400 shots. My static's turned out ok on the Friday but the lighting on the Saturday was bl**dy 'orrible and I mostly took silhouttes !!!

Guess I have a lot to learn about IS lenses !.

Met up with Andy (Crimea River) who flew in from his home town especially for this show, and we baslcally trundled around for the day, talking planes and taking pictures and generally kicking back. We introduced him to the Friends of Duxford pavillion...real posh, got carpet in the loo's !!!... for tea and biccies and a place to see the show from. Had a pretty good day all in, and Andy, it was pleasure to meet you ! :thumbright:.

This show wasn't entirely Warbird orientated like Flying Legends as there where some of those newfangled jet thingies ripping the sky apart. Namely the Red Arrows and the Patrouille de France, an F16 and a Typhoon. Highlight was without doubt the mass formation of 16...yes sixteen Spitfires in a beaut flyby following which, they all split up and into a fantastic tail chase !....Just imagine....16 Spitfires wazzing past at low level in a continous race track pattern, with soundtrack to almost defy words. Pure magic !!

Now...onto the pictures. I'm not going to post many, just a few that I'm really pleased with. I've got Andy and Tony promising to add their shots to this thread when they're back home and all sorted out....dont forget fella's !!!. The piccie with blue sky where taken on the Friday and the rest on Saturday

Attached Files:

9. Airframes

Retired
    Great stuff Gary ! Glad you met up with Andy, but I'm really hacked off I cpuldn't get there !

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

Flight Test Engineer
    Well, my shots were not that good, but are a record of sorts!!

We had 5 of the UK's 6 Hurris, 16 Spits, a rare performance by Spit XVI TE184....4 Hurris were awesome. It was great to meet up with Andy too,

Attached Files:

11. Airframes

Retired
    Great pics Tony. Don't think I've seen that Dutch Spit before, or has it been re-painted from camouflage recently ?

12. rochie

rochie Well-Known Member

Head chef
    love the shot of the Spitfire with everything hanging out !

13. seesul

seesul Active Member

Home Page:
    ope you´ve enjoy the event guys!
    I´ve heard the Pink Lady was grounded forever, is it so?

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

Flight Test Engineer
    Cheers Guys!

I have just looked at the picture Gary put up of Andy, Gary et Moi and there appears to be an old lady about to push down a plunger and blow us all up lol!!!

15. rochie

rochie Well-Known Member

Head chef
    :lol:
    :lol:

16. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

#16 Geedee, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    That was some damn good driving on my part to make sure Tony was at the right place , at the right time and ready to take that Spittie with everything dangling.....errrrr, half a mile outside of the Airfield on the way home !. Great shot mate considering it was taken from a moving truck !!!

Pretty much so Roman, she's been grounded due to high insurance costs !. Still fully airworthy, so there is a chance that when I've won a huge amount on the Euromillions lottery and have broughther for myself to play with, she will be back in the air !!!

Has anyone noticed this one of Tony's ? How cool is that ?.....arm casually dangling outside like he's just criusing around town. Probably got the stereo cranked up as well !!!:D

Attached Files:

17. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page:
    Great stuff, guys! The sound of 16 spitfires must have been awesome.

18. Airframes

Retired
    Gary, that guy is muttering, in Dutch, "I knew I should have latched the bl**dy door properly" !

19. Crimea_River

Well, just got home tonight and checked out this thread. It was great to meet up with Gary and Tony, sorry to have not seen Terry or any of the rest of you lot. Thanks guys for showing me around and getting me in to the Friends of Duxford area. I guess my mug is now finally on this site! The old lady blowing us up is priceless. I thought she was actually powering up her cart to goose Tony.

After meeting the guys on Saturday, I attended Sunday's show as well. The weather was cooler and there was a stiff cross wind. On Gary's advice, I decided to park myself on "Tank Hill" for Sunday's show which turned out to be an excellent vantage point. Most of the show was run in overcast skies but then the sun broke out just as the Spits were taking to the field which was rather special I'd say.

On Monday, I headed up to Campbridge and had lunch and a couple of pints at the Eagle Pub which was a great experience as well. Made it back to my Hotel in London before just before the underground strike - whew!

Here's a sampling of some stuff Gary and Tony didn't throw up yet. The picture of Sally B landing shows the kind of wind the pilots were tackling. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

20. Airframes

Retired
    Great pics Andy ! Glad to see the weather stayed reasonable at worst, and sunny for some of the time. We here in the UK probably take it a little for granted, but I've always wanted to know how people from other countries feel about seeing all these wonderful WW2 aircraft perform, on a historic, WW2, RAF airfield, especially one as well documented and photographed as Duxford. Personally, when I'm there, I 'feel' the history and 'emotions' of the place - what did you think mate ?