E-Mail Spam.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Today, I received an e-mail, apparently from a friend's e-mail address, directing me to two, offline broadcasts.
This appears to be some sort of spam, as another friend received a similar message.
Since then, e-mails have been sent, from my computer, to all my contact addresses, most of which, fortunately, seem to have failed.
If you'e received an e-mail, apparently from my e-mail address, without a proper subject title, then ignore it and delete it - it's not from me!
These spam messages can be identified by the subject title, which will appear something like this:- Publishe d
Note the space between the last letter of the title.
I've now checked and corrected the security settings on my computer, and changed relevant passwords, but note that these messages could be received from other, apparently recognised e-mail address, not just mine.
If you receive a message that looks even slightly odd, then delete it !!

Apologies for any inconvenience caused if you have received something from my address.

Thanks for the notice, I did get a very strange email from you using your full name and the message was weird, "He was lucky to have reached his thirteenth year..."
Norton scaned it and did not find any threat. Very weird

Yes, it's very strange Mike. I asked my friend about it, and it's not even showing as a sent message on his computer. The really weird thing is, I got a belated birthday message, by SMS to my 'phone, from the same chap earlier today, which was genuine. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but it's still weird!

I think what's going on, Terry, is "spoofing" where the spammer uses your email address and name in the "from" area.

I actually did get an email addressed from you thins morning, but it was from a hotmail address, not your computer.

Just to be on the safe-side, I would go and change your hotmail account's password

I haven't received any. However I would follow GG's suggestion and would change the password to all of your accounts Terry. Especially to the Facebook.

Thanks guys. The Windows 'outlook' security system picked it up, and I've changed my passwords and checked security settings - hopefully all will now be OK.
Looks like I'm not the only one getting or apparently sending these, as two friends have had a similar thing happen today.

Therefore I have been following the strict rule... before I send an e-mail to somebody, I inform a sendee about it via a PM here or just phone. Also I don't open any e-mail that hasn't been announced formerly or I'm not sure about the sender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back