E3 Sentry (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

damiaes

Airman
Mar 12, 2008
Montijo
Hello ..... here I leave you a few photos what I took away to the E3 Sentry of the NATO, which passed here by the Montijo - Portugal - BA6 Montijo

Attachments

• neptin1001.jpg
    neptin1001.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 82
  • neptin1002.jpg
    neptin1002.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 82
  • neptin1003.jpg
    neptin1003.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 76
  • neptin1004.jpg
    neptin1004.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 84
  • neptin1005.jpg
    neptin1005.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 79
  • neptin1006.jpg
    neptin1006.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for the photos. Did anyone notice that the "NATO" on the left wing is reversed, "OTAN"? Since NATO is correct of the side of the plane, it is not because the image was flipped. Any thoughts?

DBII

No it is correct, the reason it is spelled that way is because it is the way the French Spell it.

NATO: North Atlantic Treaty Organization/Organisation

OTAN: Organisation du Traité de l'Atlantique Nord

If you look at the side of the aircraft as well (best seen in the first pic) it is spelled both ways.

NATO + OTAN

Here are some more pics to show you:

Attachments

• 115-1540_IMG.jpg
    115-1540_IMG.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 77
  • AWACS.jpg
    AWACS.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 77
  • NATO%20AWACS%2008L.jpg
    NATO%20AWACS%2008L.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 70
I have a couple of shots from the 80's. I will see if they are the same way. Do you know the purpose of reversing it? I thought that Bubbba from East Texas painted it. :lol:

DBII

Makes perfect sense. What a waste of paint. As an english speaking person, just put OTAN on the damn thing and be done with it. Waste of paint for national pride.

They are really nice photos those ones. I think OTAN is a French pride thing meaning that if necessary they can reserve the right to back out of any NATO problems in Europe in the 1980s.

For us Portuguese is not a matter of natonal pride!!
We don`t use the therm OTAN we allways say NATO, because sounds better!
I think we have no problem with that, probably it`s just a French thing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back