Eduard 1/48 Spitfire IX (late) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,
Here is the first of the two Spitfire I'm working on. This one is done ! :lol:
A little text :razz: :Spitfire Mk.IXc serial MK636, code 2IoE flown by Sqn Ldr Henry W. McLeod from 443 RCAF Sqn based at Sainte Croix sur mer - Banville during June 1944. As you probably noticed, no yellow ID markings on the leading edges. I found very few photos of Spit IX belonging to this unit, and the few I found they don't appear (maybe belonging to the 2AF ???)

Spitfire Mk.IXc, 443 RCAF Sqn, Ste Croix sur Mer-Banville, juin 1944, Cdt H. W. McLeod_1.jpg
Spitfire Mk.IXc, 443 RCAF Sqn, Ste Croix sur Mer-Banville, juin 1944, Cdt H. W. McLeod_2.jpg
Spitfire Mk.IXc, 443 RCAF Sqn, Ste Croix sur Mer-Banville, juin 1944, Cdt H. W. McLeod_3.jpg
Spitfire Mk.IXc, 443 RCAF Sqn, Ste Croix sur Mer-Banville, juin 1944, Cdt H. W. McLeod_4.jpg
Spitfire Mk.IXc, 443 RCAF Sqn, Ste Croix sur Mer-Banville, juin 1944, Cdt H. W. McLeod_5.JPG

I keep working on the second one :)
Cheers
Stéph

Well done Steph. 443 Squadron RCAF was part of 144 Wing under the 2nd TAF in June 44. This was the first wing to be based on the continent, having moved to St. Croix sur Mer on June 15. I have a few pics in books of this squadron but many are of late war vintage. The one below, from "Spitfire - The Canadians" by Robert Bracken shows your rig apparently in June 1944 after the upper stripes on the wings were removed. Note that the "E" code on the nose is within a black circle.

Spit IX 2I_E MK636 443 Sqdn Wally McLeod Reduced.jpg

The appearance or non-appearance of the yellow leading edges can be deceiving in B&W pics as they often coincide with the sheen that is in this area. I would suggest however that they would have been there on your rig. I do have one other period pic of 2I-V taxiing past a hay thrasher showing the yellow leading edges but it's too large to post here.

Well done Steph. 443 Squadron RCAF was part of 144 Wing under the 2nd TAF in June 44. This was the first wing to be based on the continent, having moved to St. Croix sur Mer on June 15. I have a few pics in books of this squadron but many are of late war vintage. The one below, from "Spitfire - The Canadians" by Robert Bracken shows your rig apparently in June 1944 after the upper stripes on the wings were removed. Note that the "E" code on the nose is within a black circle.

View attachment 375095

The appearance or non-appearance of the yellow leading edges can be deceiving in B&W pics as they often coincide with the sheen that is in this area. I would suggest however that they would have been there on your rig. I do have one other period pic of 2I-V taxiing past a hay thrasher showing the yellow leading edges but it's too large to post here.

Arrrrgh !!! I have the "E" within a black circle in the decal sheet but I had a doubt when I found this picture
443 Sqn.jpg

It's 443 RCAF Sqn personnal with H. W. McLeod in the center and the individual letters on the nose of the two Spitfires IX (individual letter A & B or E) on each side are in "sky"... I don't know if I'm going to change the decal... Later maybe... :(
About yellow ID markings, below is Alec Hunter from 443 Sqn (we can also see him in the photo above in the top row, fourth from left) with a little dog on the wing of his Spitfire but no trace of yellow ID marking on the leading edge.
Alex Hunter-443 Sqn.jpg

Maybe after a mintenance operation on the wing or photo taken after January 1945...?
Andy, a big thank you for the photo you posted :thumbright:

I agree. It's what I was saying about the yellow edge coinciding with the sheen of the curved surface that makes it difficult to distinguish. Also in b&w the difference in tones between the MSG and yellow in the shadow of the underside would be hard to distinguish but my betting money would go on there being a yellow edge if the pics are inconclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back