Egypt Air Flight 804 Crashed - 66 souls on board. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As technology advances real information is at a premium. As a child I was told the local radar station (RAF Fylindales) could detect a tea tray over Moscow but now civil airliners can just drop off radar and no one quite knows where it happened.

Tragic for the people suffering their loss, I simply dont believe what I am told from the media.

I haven't seen the latest news release, but the last one I read on BBC Internet News, had a statement from Greek authorities, describing Greek (?) radar recording a 90 degree turn, followed by a 360 degree turn in the opposite direction, at FL 37, before radar tracked the aircraft down to 10,000 feet, at which stage radar contact was lost.
The location of the radar(s) was not given, but at 10K feet, even over a fairly long range, it seems slightly odd that the trace was lost - unless, of course, the aircraft disintegrated at that point.
Hopefully, more details will be published in due course, and meanwhile, my thoughts are with the families involved.

In depth report at CNN, including the report that Greek ATC noticed an anomoly in 804's flight profile just as it was leaving Greek control.

Also, the wreckage or whatever they found, was not that of flight 804, so they're continuing the search. Which leads me to ask, what was the wreckage they found? Another aircraft, a boat?

Anyway, here's CNN's coverage: EgyptAir Flight 804: Airline official says debris not from plane - CNN.com

Probably parts of refugee boats Dave. People die every day in those waters trying to reach Europe.
That thought had crossed my mind, Marcel.

Our U.S. Coast Guard comes across wreckage of boats all the time from people trying to get from either Cuba or South America to the U.S. all the time. Such a sad thing, honestly.

In regards to flight 804, they also reported receiving a signal for a couple hours after it went black on radar. I'm not sure what the "signal" was...perhaps the black box or a transponder?

This signal message was later denied by the Egyptian military. There was a story that they had picked up that signal as you described, but it seems to be a hoax.

In the mean time, wreckage now really seems to be found.

Egyptian military have stated that this time they have found parts of the plane, passenger belongings, and "a body part" 180 mi north of Alexandria, Egypt.

Really tragic. I know the US said satellites did not pick up any infrared signatures, but the maneuver struck me as trying to avoid something. Hard turn to the left, then a 360 to the right.

Almost like it was turning left to avoid something, got hit on the right side and damage caused the aircraft to veer the right in a circle.

It really seems so odd that the pilots never called for help. Perhaps the pilots were incapacitated, either from somebody else or from the environment.

They are also considering that there may have been a struggle on the flight deck.

Many non-U.S. carriers don't have the armored door protecting the cockpit, that was instituted post 9-11

So if a bunch of clowns rushed the flight deck and tried to take control, this could explain the erratic flight pattern and sharp decent before going off radar

Not sure if this is verified, but the last ACARS transmissions indicate a fire onboard.

00:26Z 3044 ANTI ICE R WINDOW
00:26Z 561200 R SLIDING WINDOW SENSOR
00:26Z 2600 SMOKE LAVATORY SMOKE
00:27Z 2600 AVIONICS SMOKE
00:28Z 561100 R FIXED WINDOW SENSOR
00:29Z 2200 AUTO FLT FCU 2 FAULT
00:29Z 2700 F/CTL SEC 3 FAULT
no further ACARS messages were received.

Not sure if this is verified, but the last ACARS transmissions indicate a fire onboard.

00:26Z 3044 ANTI ICE R WINDOW
00:26Z 561200 R SLIDING WINDOW SENSOR
00:27Z 2600 AVIONICS SMOKE
00:28Z 561100 R FIXED WINDOW SENSOR
00:29Z 2200 AUTO FLT FCU 2 FAULT
00:29Z 2700 F/CTL SEC 3 FAULT
no further ACARS messages were received.

A fire in the avionics bay would explain why it disappeared from radar, presumably they were talking about secondary radar.

A terribly sad situation. Condolences to families and loved ones. The lack of terrorist claims may indicate a mechanical issue as the rat bast*rds usually make claims as fast as possible.

What they're looking at now, is the ACAR report:
As it preceeds the other smoke/fire notifications in the timeline.

The lavatory's location was the one directly adjacent to the flight deck, located near the electronics bay.

It also looks like a fault in the Flight Control Unit and Flight Controls. Might also explain the 90 and 360 degree turns before the descent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back