Electric guitars.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Which were/are the best electric guitars out there? I've always liked those hollow body Gretsch ones, might not be the best, but by God.....they're by far the best looking!

:shock: 8)

Everyone will have thier own opinion. I am a fan of the old classics, Gibson Les Pauls, ES-335's, Fender Stratocasters, Telecasters, , Gretch's. Paul Reed Smith is making some great looking and playing guitars too. I tend to lean towards those semi-solid body guitars made by Gibson and Gretch.
Oh yeah, don't forget the Reverse Firebird by Gibson, check out some old Johnny Winter, he plays the hell out of them things. And a Flying V, cool geetar, check out Mr. Albert King, he's is known as the king of tone playing a Flying V.
So many Guitars, so little money;(

I have always been a fan of the Les Paul. Big and heavy, but the tone is incredible. I own a Fender Strat (57 reissue) and an Ibanez Artcore (hollow body electric). I like the 335, but the price was out of my range, so the artcore was a good compromise.

Here's one of my favorite guitars. It's a Collings I35, which essentially is a clone of a Gibson ES-335 Semi-Hollowbody Guitar. This one has a nice Quilted Maple top. Someday I'm going to try to build one of these for myself.

Attachments

• I35.jpg
    I35.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 800
I have an Epiphone SG and I don't think I will ever buy another guitar - unless it's another SG. Weight, balance and tone are all damn near perfect, and it is hugely versatile. You can play punk, rock, metal or pop on it and it will take almost any tuning without being uncomfortable to play. I also have an Epi 335, it doesn't see much use since I grew out of my Britpop phase, but it's a good-looking, good-sounding guitar, although it find it quite uncomfortable to play.

For some reason I cannot get on with Les Pauls, I find them heavy and uncomfortable, and the tone never seems quite right :|

Not to start a quarrel, but playing technique and amplifier choice has a much to do with tone as your guitar. Listen to Billy Gibbons "Appologies to Pearly", you would swear he playing a Les Paul , but it's a Strat, hence the title of the tune.
I agree the Les Paul can be a burden on your neck at times.

More eye candy pictures, a Gibson Chet Atkins "Country Gentleman". Man that's purdy.

Attachments

• Country Gentleman.jpg
    Country Gentleman.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,381
Last edited:
One day......one day! :D

Attachments

• Gretsch White Falcon 2.jpg
    Gretsch White Falcon 2.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Gretsch White Falcon.jpg
    Gretsch White Falcon.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,477
  • Gretsch Black Falcon 2.jpg
    Gretsch Black Falcon 2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 941
  • Gretsch Black Falcon.jpg
    Gretsch Black Falcon.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 696
Nice. The sparkly gold binding on the edges of the first Gretch is a bit over the top for my tastes though.

:oops: Sorry about the size on the last pic! :shock: Hopefully someone won't mind to downsize it....:lol:
True, I could do without that as well, the second looks better....

always loved an SG from from the days of townsend of the who and leslie west of mountain. used to almost cry when old pete would bash the thing into a million pieces. :cry: finally snagged a 1968 model years ago...not buying or playing anything else....cept my acoustic.

I love the sound of a classic "Les Paul" through a Marshall...but I have always found that the Stratocaster was a better fit with my playing style.

My "feel" for playing the electric guitar is dependent on the small changes in pick attack and harmonic resonance of the single coil pickup. I have always found that the humbuckers of a Paul have to much compression...and their is a loss of certain harmonics that leave me unsatisfied.

That said, I generally modify my cheep-o Strats to meet my needs...I change the pickups, and tuners, ect.

ALSO...I find that with the electric guitar the amplifier is a very, very important factor in getting my sound. Maybe, more important then the guitar...these days I have been obsessed with the "6V6" sound.

Frankenstrats rule... ;)

That's one rusty , battered crate Babe. Obviously been in a few scraps, no kill markings, must have been scavenged to fix up other birds?

On the serious side, I kinda like those battered old guitars, shows some personality. Throw a old neck with a finger stained fretboard on it, some pickups and electronics in and I bet she plays just as good as anything out there;)

Many gibsons, fenders, yamahas, and ibanez guitars are really fujigen guitars.

While fujigen doesn't have a us presence, most kids are playing a rebranded fujigen.

Sadly the really awesome fujigen are unknown in the U.S.

That said, I find early 80s kramers to be amazingly well built and playable solid body guitars.

My holy grail guitar (other than my focus1000 with banana headstock) is the kramer liberty type that sam kinison played on the "wild thing" video.

That guitar was a work of art and had a ton of different sounds at it's disposal as well as neck-thru construction.

Here's a black one some guy plays as often as the other sweet guitars he has

bradstudio002.jpg

bradstudio011.jpg

I still like the double cutaway les paul that pat travers used to play before he endorsed paul reed smith guitars.

Apparently they only made 6 of them that went to Travers, Ace Frehley, Greg Lake, and the Guitarist from "america"...not sure what happened to the other two.

Pat used it for years and it sold for 10,000 on ebay a while ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ou-2t5cm-c

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back