Embracing Defeat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

michaelmaltby

Colonel
Jan 22, 2009
Toronto
This book by John Dower, "Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II" is a must read for anyone with an open mind and a thirst for understanding why things are the way they are. :)

I had read previously of the MacArthur period of governance and, generally, have great respect for the values he imposed: constitutional reform, labor unions, franchise to vote for women, etc. however, this book is focused on the Japanese people themselves ... the effects of crushing defeat and occupation on Japanese men and on Japanese women ... the effect of American values and culture on Japanese life.
I never knew that the Japanese people were forced to bear the cost $$$$ of the US Occupation ... often abused by officials insisting their appropriated Japanese housing be refurnished and re plumbed to American standards at the expense of the Japanese taxpayer.
I never knew the extent to which the black market and panpan energized the destitute economy.
Never knew the extent to which constitutional reform was impeded by senior Japanese bureaucrats.
Or, about: Babysan Babysan - Wikipedia.

In his radio broadcast the Emperor asked his people "to endure the unendurable" and this book details how men and women did that. And from the ashes roses have flourished. :)

images.jpeg
babysan11.jpg
babysan14.jpg
babysan19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back