enamel over acrylics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DarrellC

Airman
Jan 30, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I am going to assume a part painted with acrylics (Vallejo air) would have to be sealed before adding some enamel (Model Master) details over it? Seal with rattle can clear?

Rule of thumb - acrylics can go over enamels, but not the other way around. However, with small areas of detail painting, this can normally be done. I don't normally use acrylics, but I have, on the odd occasion, got away with painting enamel over them, after sealing with a clear coat. I never use 'rattle cans' due to the lack of control, and normally either brush on or airbrush on a sealer mixed from Future and a matt medium, to achieve the desired finish, or, if sealing ready for decals, airbrush on neat Future. This is left to cure at least 12 hours before adding any fine detail painting.

If I want a matt, or semi matt finish (incorrectly known, sometimes, as a 'flat' finish), I add Tamiya Flat Base to the Future, mixing in a proportion, after experimenting, to achieve the desired finish. This is only for the final finishing coat, to give the model the correct gloss, sheen or full matt (flat) finish required to replicate the original aircraft. For decals, a full, high gloss finish is applied, using either a good gloss varnish, or neat 'Future'
(Note that the term 'Flat', when related to paint and painting, is very often incorrectly used to denote 'Matt'. 'Flat' is in fact a process, as in 'flat' or 'to flat', when an existing paint finish is rubbed down with wet and dry or sand paper, to make the surface flat, and provide a 'key' for a following coat of paint, particularly for gloss paint. The correct term for a paint, or finish, which does not exhibit a gloss or other sheen, is 'Matt', with a finish between full gloss and less shine than semi-gloss, being 'semi-matt, leading to a full, dull finish being 'matt') .

Yep, the 'proper' spelling is matte, from the French, but as with many things, it's now universally known as 'matt'. The term 'matte' is also used to describe a cinematographic background, where the main image is blended with a photographic or painted background, known as a matte, in what is, unsurprisingly, known as a 'matte shot'. I'm a mine of useless information !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back