Enamel over Future (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DarrellC

Airman
Jan 30, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I probably know the answer, but..I sprayed matted future on a model. Can I put some enamel over that?

Normally, I would say yes, if very careful, and by brush, not airbrush, and in small areas only. Normally, enamels over acrylics should not be attempted, but I have not had a problem over Future, given the guidelines above, and given that it has been allowed to harden for a couple of days.
However! With the 'new formula' Future (still known as Klear in the UK), I have very recently experienced a number of problems, and as of now, I have stopped using it.
See my P-47 9th Air Force thread !!

Sorry...Future mixed with a Matting agent! Did I not use the correct term for ya.

No, no.. I grasped. But I was curious why you used the matted Future. Usually it is used as the gloss varnish for applying decals.

Note that the problems I referred to, apart from not getting the usual, smooth gloss finish, were in relation to Future with Tamiya Flat Base added, to create a matt clear coat, something I've been doing for a number of years, without problems, until now.
I'd suggest you test a small area, before committing to a complete model, but note my comments regarding application - I've only ever used enamels over it, by brush, for small areas, or for weathering, and then sparsely.

No, no.. I grasped. But I was curious why you used the matted Future. Usually it is used as the gloss varnish for applying decals.

Actually.......... members of my IPMS group use Future under decals, then a top finish coat of Future mixed with flat clear acrylic.
BTW, it's a beautiful finish!

Never done it but I wouldn't expect any adverse reactions to occur as Future is just an acrylic polymer (i.e. a plastic). However there is a possibility that due to the disimiliar solvents between the enamel paint and the acrylic future, the enamel may crack, as it dries and then due to the lack of adhesion underneath, and the shrinkage that occurs in the drying process, the paint would splinter and crack.

I think I won't take the chance. I'll drive the hour to the hobby shop and get the colors I need in Vallejo Air. Thanks for the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back